iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corned Venison

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 30, 2018, 09:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I know I have mentioned this before but this time I have the pictures.  I pulled the backstraps, briskets and even some of the hams off 2 deer we got 10 days ago and put them in a corning solution made of pickling spices, garlic powder, brown sugar and Quick Cure (Sodium Nitrite I think) and let it sit in the reefer downstairs for a week. Tonight I drained it and we vacuum packed 16 packages set up to feed about 3-4 people at a meal. We cook it just like you would a fresh corned beef - shallow dish with a little water and veggies (Potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc) in a slow oven till the veggies are done. Actually we could thaw and slice it thin and fry it for sandwiches too. It keeps well and is popular with my friends and family. Its not really all that hard to make.

Ready to bag and freeze. We leave the spices on the meat as shown.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moosehunter

We make corned venison and love it but I would never put the backstraps in. They are too good on their own!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

I confess - I am strange about that. I'd just as soon cube the backstraps, flour, fry and drown them in mushroom gravy over rice and likely would not notice the difference between it and the cubed round steak. If I were not corning it I might make it into jerky. It does make good corned deer. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Oh yallr makin me hungry.  Got leg meat soaking in jerky mix right now that i wish was done already.  

Whats in your picklin spice mix howard?

I have been able to make leg steaks come in pretty close to backstraps.   Its just a lot more work slicing out the connective tissue and silver skin for not a ton of meat.  I tend to do that for steak and egg breakfast where i dont aim to have a plate size piece of meat.  I think the trick is a real hot pan for a fast hot sear.  And bacon lard.  Half way thru cooking the steak slices ill drop in some onions to saute.  Dont want the onions putting too much water in the pan before the sear is done. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

I buy them in the spice rack at our local Kroger's grocery store. Its their store brand sold as "Mixed Pickling Spices".

Ingredients include:
Mustard seed
Cinnamon
Ginger
Bay leaves
Red pepper
Caraway
Allspice
Black pepper
Coriander
Clove

I don't know the ratio and think any name brand would do equally well or you could try mixing your own. No two batches of meat are ever going to taste the same anyway.

BTW - My wife just told me that is what we are having for lunch today.
Howard Green

mike_belben

Nice!  I MAY HAVE accidentally dropped a few jerky slices into the lunch pan today..  

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!