iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

?condensation in idle kiln?

Started by caveman, March 01, 2014, 07:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I recently read in a post by Pineywoods about condensation in a solar kiln rotting out the front wall.  If memory serves, this was the impetus to install the dehumidifier.  What do you do to deal with condensation when the kiln is not in use?  Do you prop a door open (vent), or is this not an issue without green lumber releasing moisture into a relatively sealed environment?

Our kiln is being based on the VT design but with the collector and DH like Pineywoods and Planman have. 

Jmoore and I sawed out enough wood Wednesday to finish the kiln project.  This afternoon, we will begin cutting and installing the foam insulation the he sourced second hand.  It came out of a commercial chicken house. 
Thank you,
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

I don't know, but it would seem that if you covered the clear panels and cracked open a door or vents, that should minimize condensation. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The VT kiln with a vapor barrier properly installed will not have condensation in the walls.  The original kiln that I built at VT in 1978 was removed in 1996.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

caveman

Thanks, we are installing a vapor barrier on the warm side.  I am just trying to cover all of the bases.
Caveman

Planman1954

Since the pineywoods design I used is built using conventional home walls (proven for over 60 years here in the south) there is little risk for mold inside an idle building. I've had no mold whatsoever. The thread "Solar Dry Kiln Construction" has photos showing the wall construction. Felt was applied over the outside stud walls with siding nailed over it. Typical kraft backed (paper) fiberglass batt insulation was placed in the wall cavities with the paper facing the inside (once again, typical home installation technique.) Finally, a thin siding was nailed over the inside walls to hold the insulation in place.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

caveman

Good deal, Planman.  I will post a picture or two of today's accomplishments in the other post.  Thanks.
Caveman

pineywoods

I've had no problems with condensation in an empty kiln. But I did have a bunch of problems, literally raining inside when I first loaded a stack of very wet boards and had not yet put in the dh unit. My initial thought was that the moisture would condense on the sheet metal collector and dribble down to a small trough at the bottom end. Didn't work at all. The moisture condensed on the bottom of the plastic glazing and ran down into the front wall.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!