iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to know what type of tree near St.Louis

Started by ovrbdgt, September 29, 2023, 07:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovrbdgt

I picked up some free wood, and split it all the last couple of day. I have no idea what type of tree this is. All of the wood looks to be from the same tree. I'm located in Illinois just outside of St. Louis.

Here are some pics.

KEC

A picture of the end of a fresh cut log would be helpful. Looks like some kind of softwood. If that stack is under the drip edge of the roof you should move it; not good up against the side of the house either.

Old Greenhorn

White or more likely red pine is my best guess. It will degrade fast, so burn it soon. And yeah, it's not gonna help that wall it's stacked against. If it is pine it will soak up water like a sponge, so either way, get it covered somehow. Great campfire wood though.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Pretty hard to guess from those pictures.  We need nice smooth cuts on the grain side and ends to get a better idea.  Bark looks like pine as has been said.  Pine will smell like pine when cut.  Did you smell it?
Where in IL?  My wife is from O'Fallon, but we live in Jefferson County MO.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ovrbdgt

I live just outside of Edwardsville. It is a soft wood. Just curious what type of wood I was splitting. I stacked the wood that way while splitting it until I disperse it amongst my friends. Thanks for the responses.

KEC

firefighter ontheside

Hard to find any red pine growing around St Louis.  I would guess it is white pine.  There are a lot of those growing as ornamentals around here.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fluidpowerpro

Looking at the bark, I would say white pine. The bark on red pine is "flakier".
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!