iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Mill blades

Started by BuckShott, November 07, 2019, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuckShott

Has anyone on here built their own jig for silver soldering teeth on a circular sawmill blade?
I have an older Lucas 8-20 and am looking at doing my own blade repairs since my closest "saw doctor" can't seem to get it right   arg-smileywhen I have taken my blades to him for repair. Any insights would be much appreciated!  :)

Don P

Bummer! That doesn't speak well.
I looked at the jig Lucas sells for doing it at one point but never got any further, my doc does a good job and tensions the plate cheaper than I have an interest in learning.

BuckShott

Their jig is a bit too pricey, I think it would be fun (and more affordable) to build my own, but need to research and get good information first.
What does "tensioning" mean?

Don P

Tensioning starts with flattening any high or hot spots then moving the metal in the saw plate to put the rim in a slight amount of tension so that it runs true. Not as big a deal with a small diameter blade as a large headsaw but it is still done right on down to tablesaw blades.

Here's a good article;
https://www.yorksaw.com/flattening-tensioning-circular-knives-saw-blades/

BuckShott

Thanks for the link Don, that was very interesting. I suppose even if I am able to learn how to properly attach tips, my blades would need to be "retensioned" occasionally. 
If the guy (blade shop) was closer, I would work with him (be more patient) with the results, but he's a couple hours away and I have to drop off the blades and pick them up a couple weeks later (usually a couple months by the time I am able to get back down there).
I am kind of the "independent type" so figuring out how to do it myself will be rewarding. 

Don P

I would like to know what you come up with, always been tempted to try. I'll try to get some pics and tips next time I'm down there. The shop I use is a bit over an hour away, in fact I keep forgetting to call to let him know those were my planer knives my wife left at the door of the shop a couple of weeks ago.

Thank You Sponsors!