iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits Shortage

Started by Sixacresand, March 25, 2020, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

I guess a real expert chef could look at that curved catfish skeleton and be able to tell whether the catfish was harvested in the morning or afternoon based on the direction of the curve since the fish the fish follow the sunlight like a sunflower plant or such.

I guess I could comment on gourd trees and breadfruit trees but a few naysayers would probably doubt that too and I'd spend half the day looking for the pictures.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

You guys know in golf sometimes the ball lies poorly, and sometimes the golfer... :-X
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

I can't say about that - I never was a cow pasture pool player.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

How would anyone know if this thread needs to be restricted  ??? ??? ??? ???
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Sixacresand

I tried golf in my twenties.  Never enough balls to knock in the ponds and woods.  I always quit when I was down to two.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bwstout

this has to be the best read that I have daily. Stuck at home teleworking
Love your stores reminds me of my grandpa. He use to tell me that they raise hogs double stack they only feed the top ones because they ate so fast that a lot of past right on though and the bottom pen just ate the left overs.  ;D I think some of this just might be stuff from the top pen. But it is good reading. :D
home built mill

EOTE

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 25, 2020, 08:59:45 PM
Spaghetti squash cooked , formed round and roasted for dinner tonight.Herbs from the yard

I am sorry but those herbs look like you barbequed some geckos.   Don't let that insurance company know about it.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

WV Sawmiller

@bwstout 

I had heard they made single row hog pens, head to tail and 7 rows deep so tight the hog could not turn around then they'd just feed the first one. steve_smiley

Kind of like the old saying "If you ain't the lead dog the view never changes."

Howard Green

SawyerTed

Speaking of spaghetti squash, there's an art to raising marinara sauce seedlings and meatball trees. Now I know meatballs grow on trees 'cause my uncle Gertis Jr. married a girl from Italy.  

And the nefarious switch here is about as funny as the internet gets! :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

By the way, I ain't no hillbilly - I'm a ridge running, stump jumping, mule skinnin', moonshine drinking, g r i t s eating, deer hunting, catfish catching, chicken raising, sawmilling Appalachian American.  As a fisherman it is most important to maintain my status as a truth stretcher and reality bender.  As a hunter it is important that my heritage as a fibricator ( kudos to Pat McManus) remain intact. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

Good ol' Pat, one of my favorites. May he rest in peace.
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

I did not know that Mr. McManus was no longer with us.
I liked his short stories, I really enjoyed the one titled PIGS.
I believe he out did himself with that one.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

petefrom bearswamp

Holy moley
No response from here.
Still thinking and dreaming.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Aw come on - bullfrog legs? Our state has a season on them from July 4th till Labor Day, only 10 per night, only gig till midnight. With daylight saving times it won't even be dark enough to use a light before 9:00 pm.

I grew up in N. Fla and was a master frog gigger. I gigged most of mine on the Escambia River in a 12' aluminum boat with a 14' bamboo gig pole and a 5 pointed, square headed gig that was wicked. I'd take the 6v battery out of the Farmall cub, had about 10' of lamp cord with alligator clamps hooked to my 6v Ray-o-Vac headlight, and could hunt all night on that. I had to use PR18  bulbs because the extra amperage would blow the normal PR13 bulbs pretty quickly. I could spot a frog a quarter mile away sitting on the back side of a log. The frogs were used to outboards and the wake from the boats kept them a foot or so up on the bank instead of right at or just in the edge of the water so I could run the motor right up to them. On the rare cases when I'd miss one and he'd jump in the river I'd hunt a few minutes then return and he'd be back in the same spot and I'd get him then. I gigged frogs up to 2.5 lbs with 4" bluegills, small turtles, big crawfish, small snakes, etc in their bellies. Dry weather and low water was best as the sloughs would be drying up and the mouth of the sloughs and creeks instead of in the backwater where I could not reach them. I would often have 4-5 big frogs just a few feet apart. I'd often get 40-50 frogs. When I cleaned them we'd eat the front legs and backs as well the back legs. If he wasn't big enough to eat the whole frog I let him go. The males would have a big yellow throat and the females would have black spotted bellies. Their eye shine like amber dimes but as often as not you'd spot their white bellies. The really spooky ones would often escape up the hillside instead of jumping in the water. I have spotted them on the bottom of the lake or river when they jumped in and gigged them there. Occasionally a big frog would jump in the river then immediately jump back up on the bank. I always wondered what he saw down there that scared him back out. The big trick when gigging frogs or any wild animal at night is be sure not to let anything come between your light source and his eyes. I'd run the gig within 6" of the frog then give a little short jab. I've seen people try to gig from 2' away and the usually gig the bank or log underneath the frog. The same techniques work when spearfishing at night.

We did not have many gators in N. Fla at the time and it was rare to see one but one night I found one in the mouth of a dried up slough on the Santa Rosa County side of the river. His eyes looked like red flashlight beams 8-10 inches apart. He was a very big gator and like a dummy I ran the boat straight at him till he finally got alarmed and ran into the water and scrubbed the bottom of my boat in the shallow water as I passed over him. I swear he looked like he extended past both ends of my boat. Very dumb move on my part! Fortunately we both survived the encounter.
Howard Green

florida

You guys are hurting our feelings casting doubts on the stories. I've got proof right here for you.

BBC: Spaghetti-Harvest in Ticino - YouTube

Granddaddy tried some imported spaghetti trees once but the col weather stunted the trees and all he got was elbow macaroni which was hard to pick. He did combine it some of the curds from the WV cheese curd trees and invented macaroni and cheese. You can say "Thank you" now.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

barbender

GAB, I think it was about a year ago Pat McManus passed away. I started reading his stuff when I was about 10 I suppose, I always loved the way he played on words for his humor. One example that always stuck in my head was a story where he was describing having to hire a couple of plumbers, and he said, "they had the slow, deliberate movements of men that knew they were being paid by the hour".😂Oddly, I tried listening to audio book versions in my machine, it wasn't the same as reading it yourself at all. 

barbender

April 11, 2018. So two years ago- time flies🤷‍♂️

moosehunter

My bride will not let me read McManus in bed. She claimed my stifled laughter made the bed shake so hard she couldn't sleep 🙄. 
My dad gave me my first McManus book. I miss both of them. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

GAB

Quote from: barbender on April 03, 2020, 02:24:12 PM
GAB, I think it was about a year ago Pat McManus passed away. I started reading his stuff when I was about 10 I suppose, I always loved the way he played on words for his humor. One example that always stuck in my head was a story where he was describing having to hire a couple of plumbers, and he said, "they had the slow, deliberate movements of men that knew they were being paid by the hour".😂Oddly, I tried listening to audio book versions in my machine, it wasn't the same as reading it yourself at all.
I think I read that story.  If it is the one I'm thinking of the plumbers went into the crawl space of his house or camp and one of them said to the other that he needed a string and the other said he saw one upon entering and when he grabbed it realized that it was a live snake.  According to the story both plumbers came out of the small opening a whole lot faster than they went in.  
For a good laugh read his story titled PIGS.  Anyone who had any experience with pigs could really relate.
I'm trying to remember if that was the story that mentioned turning on a dime and giving you nine cents change back.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

Yes mooseherder, I've suffered from the "McManus Shakes" in bed at night before as well!😂 GAB, I'll have to find that story and read it. I do remember the one from the book, "Real Ponies Don't Go Oink"😂

sawguy21

Quote from: WDH on April 03, 2020, 07:33:43 AM
Spaghetti squash?  Ugggh :-X.
I'll take your share if you'll have my green pepper.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

WDH & sawguy21:
Sorry but you guys are stuck.
Without certs Canadian customs won't allow the squash in, and DHS won't allow the green peppers in the U.S.
I guess that voids the deal.
GAB

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!