iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yo

Started by poolman, October 14, 2010, 04:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poolman

red oaks lumber

i don't know about woodmaster. on my moulder i have a carbide spiral cutter head  on the first bottom head.  indexable inserts similar to what you are desribing, im on the last turn of knife planed so far about 800,000 b.feet of wood. if you can swing the purchase do it, i don't think you'll regret it.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

poolman

thanks red oak for the info.i am getting the credit form to fill out next week. i will pay it off but in 3 or 4 months.i just needed to know i am not going to be sorry.if i destroy any inserts they said 4 dollars each is the cost of each cutter replacment.  brian

sawwood

Brian i have the 18" Woodmaster and got tired of changing blades as we plane a lot of
Oak and Walnut. So I bought the spiral head unit and wish i had bought it when i got
my planer.  It is so quiet that i all most don't need head phones but i do. You can go to
my gallery as i have some photos of it and my outfeed table. When you call Woodmaster
ask for Mark Redman and tell him Lester sent you his way. I have planed a lot of oak and
still haven't changed the blades to a new side.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

DR_Buck

I've added to spiral cutter to my Woodmaster 718 not long ago.  It's the best thing I bought in a long time!   

Go for it.  Youll never regret the decision.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

poolman

Thanks sawood and mr buck i will go ahead and buy it after reading your info. thanks a lot, brian

Den Socling

Isn't it nice to have the experts here at the Forestry Forum?  8) They can always help.

GF

I put one on my 20" planer and would never go back to the flat blades, they are great.

GF

JimMartin9999

Jim

Paul_H

You aren't being edited,something else must be haywire.Don't be paranoid :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

Yep I went with the spiral head too and man what a difference. I used to have big ear muff hearing protectors and now I can talk to someone standing next to me while running it.

Den Socling

Jim,

As Paul says, there is no editing going on with your post.

Den

rph816

Does anyone have any numbers on the WM insert head?  I've been looking at one for my 718.  Is the head steel or aluminum?  I've heard anecdotal stories on longevity but I'd like to hear first-hand the number of Bd.Ft actually planed on the inserts (before turning, or after so long as specified).

Thanks

Ryan

sawwood

Ryan not sure of the board feet but i would say i  have planed about 2000BF and haven't turned
the blades yet and they are still sharp. The head is aluminum and no trouble with it yet. Like I
said sure wish i had bought it when i got my WM 18.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Cedarman

I spent $3000 for spiral head for our 26" Northtech about 5 years ago.  Best money I every spent.  Can plane 50 times as much cedar.  We even went to taking 1/4" plus off cull lumber to make shavings to convert to sawdust for our specialty market.   We have since bought a machine with 12" diameter head to turn the complete board up to 4" thick into sawdust.  Very seldom ruin a knife. 
Do it!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

JimMartin9999

Guys
Just for the record I found out from Jeff that the above post was made in my name.  I didnĀ“t send it and have no idea of how it got there.  Another one was sent on the same day, equally mysterious and not from me.
Has anyone else had anything like this happen?
Jim Martin
Jim

Jeff

As I told you in the email Jim, the security problem is NOT with the forum, its with your login. You need to find out who is using your login. I gave you the I.P. address. As much as you don't want to think someone has your info, they do, its not the forum.
The only other answer is that you are remaining logged in on a computer in Germany that someone else has access to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR_Buck

Not surprised someone grabbed your account.  I had my website account hacked a year ago and they trashed my site.   The web hosting company saw it happening and locked it down.  The IP was traced to a server in Denmark that had been hacked by the Russian mob.   They apparently got about a dozen accounts hosted on the same server.   Hosting company thinks they had some kind of way to capture info from people login into the server.   I couldn't find anything (worms, Trojans, keystroke loggers on my computer and none of my other on line stuff was compromised.   However, I had to change all my website login info and rebuild the site.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

petefrom bearswamp

I have a Bridgewood 20" spiral head and it works just fine.
BUT be advised that any really hard knots are deadly on the carbide inserts.
Also, The next to last time I rotated the cutters I must have gotten them too tight as I sheared off several of the screws trying to get them out. Had to break the cutter with a punch and then remove the screws.
Talked to a man at Byrd machine and he said to tighten to 50 to 60 inch pounds.
I now have an inch pound torque wrench.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

poolman

Thanks Pete for Your help.I plane a lot of nots in hard woods.I might wait till Feb. 11 to buy it. Brian

Handy Andy

Woodmaster has a sale right now, till Nov 15.  Says for WM owners only, free shipping, and they have the 12" head for 849.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

ljmathias

Handy: didn't see anything on the Woodmaster site about a special price for Woodmizer owners... just their sale prices good through Nov 15...
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!