iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro: Me and my M100 in Sacramento

Started by Erik A, December 19, 2020, 02:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik A

Hi all,

I got a Timbery M100 about 4 years ago. My now retired friend would rather be in a tree than just about anything else, so one day he was talking about the chain saw mill he has (threaded rod and piece of steel) and wanted to cut an oak he just cut down. I had him run us out to the WM dealer to look around. We left with the M100 on order (I wanted the LT15 wide but was talked out of it... whole other story). Having this saw is completely just a hobby. He ends up with logs, now I have a way to cut them up!! I do have to say there is something about cutting a log into boards that is ... I don't know, relaxing, zen like, it just makes me smile !!

I have not cut a lot, the saw can set for months between use, but we have cut redwood, ceder, oak, pine, fir, cherry, apricot, liquid amber (i think), and ..... there are walnut orchards north of me, so I'm hunting some walnut to cut!!

As soon as I figure out the photos, I will add some.

I intend on adding to this thread with updates. maybe "what we cut lately" type of thing.

Erik A

Here is the latest batch of logs, looks like we will work on these tomorrow!

Barebuttminer

Quote from: Erik A on December 19, 2020, 02:15:14 AM
Hi all,

I got a Timbery M100 about 4 years ago. My now retired friend would rather be in a tree than just about anything else, so one day he was talking about the chain saw mill he has (threaded rod and piece of steel) and wanted to cut an oak he just cut down. I had him run us out to the WM dealer to look around. We left with the M100 on order (I wanted the LT15 wide but was talked out of it... whole other story). Having this saw is completely just a hobby. He ends up with logs, now I have a way to cut them up!! I do have to say there is something about cutting a log into boards that is ... I don't know, relaxing, zen like, it just makes me smile !!

I have not cut a lot, the saw can set for months between use, but we have cut redwood, ceder, oak, pine, fir, cherry, apricot, liquid amber (i think), and ..... there are walnut orchards north of me, so I'm hunting some walnut to cut!!

As soon as I figure out the photos, I will add some.

I intend on adding to this thread with updates. maybe "what we cut lately" type of thing.
Erik A
Looking for walnut; take a drive down Bear River Drive between Rio Oso and Wheatland. There are a lot of walnut growers out there. I think the trick is to catch them when the cutters are in the orchards and talk to them; you have to get there before they cut other wise they will dice the logs into firewood.
If you are looking for black walnut you might check out all the new construction going on along PFE Road between Antelope and Roseville. They are cutting down all the old Black Walnut trees that line that road and hauling them to the dump, a real waste of good lumber in my opinion.

Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

donbj

Quote from: Barebuttminer on December 20, 2020, 02:10:17 AMThey are cutting down all the old Black Walnut trees that line that road and hauling them to the dump, a real waste of good lumber in my opinion.

Oh that hurts! We have to mortgage our houses up here for that stuff.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Erik A welcome to the forum.
Looks like we have a lot in common, sawing and rocks!!! I've been digging rocks on this place for 50 years, still have more to go. The bog is not filled yet!!  ;D
Whatcha's you doing with all the lumber?

This is a nice thread to post your sawing to,

whatcha sawin' 2020
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Erik A

My brothers saw up in Oregon, he has been running it for ? ? ?  over 30 years for sure!

Erik A

Thanks everybody for the welcome.

"Whatcha's you doing with all the lumber?"

One project is a timber frame breeze way between the shop and house (why build it out of spindly 4X4's?). Questions to follow in the timber frame forum!

Otherwise, not much right now! I have a friend with a problem..... he seems to need to bring me logs (ok, not a bad problem!) The logs above came from Paradise. PG&E cut the trees down and that is the extent of there concern! Then the city told the home owner standing dead trees are ok, on the ground no way, we are going to fine you if you do not remove them, so now some of it is at my house!

Some redwood siding I made for my 3 year old niece (building a play house in her back yard!)

Brad_bb

Welcome Erik!  Looks like some 36"+ logs in that picture above.   I'm not familiar with a Timery mill.  Maybe post a pic?  Can it handle 36"+?  Hopefully you have a machine with forks to move them?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Patrick NC

Welcome to the forum. I started with a m100. It was a good little mill. Looks like you are making pretty nice lumber with it. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ljohnsaw

Welcome!  I'd gladly take some of that pine off your friend's hands!  But can't get into my property for another 6 months :(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Erik A

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 20, 2020, 11:07:58 PM
Welcome!  I'd gladly take some of that pine off your friend's hands!  But can't get into my property for another 6 months :(
His friend has a log truck with a self loader, thats how the 36 to 44" logs got to me, might be able to work to your advantage this spring?

Erik A

A little about the M100.

It has been a nice saw. It had 7 or 9hp standard, and when I ordered, they offered a 14 hp (subaru), so I got the 14hp and one extension so if I'm careful I can cut 16.5'. I was told it would cut 29" but I found the distance between the guides give you 20.5". We figured that would be fairly large logs to deal with so should work out ok...... Now I have 42-44" logs in the yard, go figure.

Compared to digging with a shovel my L35 is great, trying to move 24" logs... not so much. We have had to drag one end of a log to the saw, set one end then lift the other to get it on the saw bed!!

This brings me to the question - How do you get a 44" log through a 20" saw?

Erik A

We are making 12' timbers so ripping the logs into quarters with a chain saw. I think it took 5+ tanks of gas to go through the first one

Just ripping the log in half, it is still to heavy to lift!! Have to have quarters to move them. this gives me 32 timbers without the pith(?) in the center of them! One problem with the M100, it has less than 7" from the blade to the frame, so I can only make one timber from a log by cutting all 4 sides! It looks like the LT15 (the one I wanted) does not have much more than that? This is why I'm thinking of making a Lucas slaber style saw and frame

Erik A

We did not get to cut any more today, I bought some wood working tools last March from a school (150 miles away) and then they shut down for a little bug!

Then I get very busy during the summer and fall and the trailer I used went back east for 3 months! anyway, I finally got to go up and get them today.

You can ask, but I don't know why, I guess its like climbing a mountain, because it was there, or hey you need 44" logs for your 20" saw!!

By the way, anybody need their table top slab sanded??

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Erik A on December 21, 2020, 11:59:31 PMOne problem with the M100, it has less than 7" from the blade to the frame, so I can only make one timber from a log by cutting all 4 sides!
Are you talking from the blade UP to the saw frame?  My homemade saw was ~20" but I added a brace to help stop the flexing and reduce that to 11".  But, that did not stop me from making 5x18" beams.  I just whittle down from the outside making side wood along the way.  Also, the blade length between the guides (~27") is not the limiting factor (in my case) as much as how high I can make the blade go for the first cut (29").  The other limiting factor is the distance between the uprights (4 post head).  Currently is 42" but rebuilding it over the winter to accommodate at least 48" wide and a lift height closer to 45".  Then I can whittle down a 48" cedar log I have.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Erik A on December 22, 2020, 12:19:37 AMBy the way, anybody need their table top slab sanded??
:o How wide is that sander?  I've got a bunch of wide live-edge cedar slabs that I'll be using a router sled on.  That would certainly make life easier!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Barebuttminer on December 20, 2020, 02:10:17 AMIf you are looking for black walnut you might check out all the new construction going on along PFE Road between Antelope and Roseville. They are cutting down all the old Black Walnut trees that line that road and hauling them to the dump, a real waste of good lumber in my opinion.

Lately, I've been driving from the tracks in Roseville (the start of PFE Road) to Walegra and haven't seen any.  Today I went all the way to the other end of PFE and saw only two knarly standing ones that didn't look to be at risk of being cut down.  The whole area is bare west of Walegra.  East of Walegra has a number of old, big, crooked oaks along the fence lines.  Guess I'm a day late :(

For those wondering what PFE stands for - Pacific Fruit Exchange.  The Roseville yard (largest west of the Mississippi) was the center of the huge fruit shipping center in the last century (1900's).
John Sawicky

Erik A

Funny thing, i know the inspector for the job on pfe. He said they chipped all the trees  :o

The sander is 37" 

47sawdust

Nice logs.Looks like a MD mill would make short work of them for framing lumber.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Erik A

Here is the redwood trees that started this odyssey!!

Thats me in the orange!!

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!