iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got bit bad yesterday

Started by DocGP, December 29, 2021, 02:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushhog920

Is this still a pics or it didn't happen post?

TimW

Ouch!  So sorry to hear that.  I have had that happen unhitching the mill from the front end loader.  But it hit the quick attach plate and stopped.  I use 4 chocks now.

Big question................Did your doctor say when you can start sawing again?
That always seems to hurt me the worst when I get in an accident or surgery.
 HAPPY NEW YEAR hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

I'm not sure how you got your finger in the pin hole, if I read that right. When I load my LT 35 I have the front and 2nd (loader side) jacks still up with the pins through. I try to lower them so they are a couple inches lower than the ball then I shift the hitch on to the ball then  release and raise the landing gear and pin them in the up position.

I have several metal barn door handles I bought at a flea market and have been thinking about screwing one on to the top of the hitch bar and I think this is the incentive I needed to get around to doing it. I'm thinking that will make it much easier to lift the end of the mill and keep my fingers away from the ball and hitch as I have mashed them loading one time. I thought about adding a fold away jack on the front but never found them to roll very well on dirt anyway. At least they don't on my boat trailer.

Hopefully this was not you chopstick holding hand. I remember Paul Case caught a lot of flack about that when he lost a thumb. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Quote from: Magicman on December 30, 2021, 07:41:10 PM
You do know that you will not be able to point as far with that finger now.  ::)
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 31, 2021, 09:32:48 AM
  Hopefully this was not you chopstick holding hand. 
You can just feel the love!  :)

Larry

I feel your pain!  I got bit by a moulder 40 years ago and lost a 1/4" off my index finger plus chopped up the first joint.  A steel screw held everything in place until it healed, but the joint was no longer moveable after they took the screw out (ouch).

On the good side, the finger constantly reminds me, even after 40 years, to think about what can happen.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

welderskelter

I lost a middle one 40 years ago. 2 joints of middle finger. Mashed off. I dont play any instruments but There is hope for you. There is a Roy Thackerson on you tube that you should watch. Just think now you can be the life of the party when the grandkids are trying to pull it out of your nose. If you knew how many times that finger will be looked at by kids that will make you laugh. As they often say on this forum. Pics would help. Ha. Heck of a way to start off a new year or finish an old one.Good luck with healing. Thank the Lord it wasnt your head.

maple flats

Back when I was 7, my dad was building a toy garage with an elevator for me for Christmas. I guess, my mom went down cellar and called to him, while he was jointing a board, his little finger slipped and he lost all but 3/4" of it. After that, he used it to clean his ear on that side. Being his little finger he didn't have many issues except he found it necessary to shorten that finger on gloves. He just cut them to length and mom sewed it shut.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 31, 2021, 09:32:48 AM
  I'm not sure how you got your finger in the pin hole, if I read that right. When I load my LT 35 I have the front and 2nd (loader side) jacks still up with the pins through. I try to lower them so they are a couple inches lower than the ball then I shift the hitch on to the ball then  release and raise the landing gear and pin them in the up position.

I have several metal barn door handles I bought at a flea market and have been thinking about screwing one on to the top of the hitch bar and I think this is the incentive I needed to get around to doing it. I'm thinking that will make it much easier to lift the end of the mill and keep my fingers away from the ball and hitch as I have mashed them loading one time. I thought about adding a fold away jack on the front but never found them to roll very well on dirt anyway. At least they don't on my boat trailer.

Hopefully this was not you chopstick holding hand. I remember Paul Case caught a lot of flack about that when he lost a thumb.
I misunderstood also Howard.  I always leave the front jack pinned and the rear jack about 6 inches off the ground before I hook up.  I only move it with the front end loader and a skid steer plate made into a round hay bale spear.  I remove the spear and welded in a receiver tube with the ball on it, above the spear hole.  That way, I only drive the tractor up and carefully lift the ball into the hitch.
I never take it on the road, so I never hitch up to the truck.  Again, all I can think of is OUCH.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

SawyerTed

I dropped the tongue on the sawmill once without having either the tongue jack or the front jack near the log lift arm down.  Thankfully, I had a FEL with forks nearby to lift it.  

Now I do something similar to Howard and have at least one of those two jacks down in case I drop the tongue.  Sometimes it just as easy to use the tongue jack to lower the coupler onto the ball.  Sometimes the jack nearest the front log lift arm is better. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

UncleMoustache

Dang.  Sorry to hear that.  Get well soon, and get used to it soon.  It'll be an adjustment for sure.

Lost the hearing in my right ear suddenly 12 years ago.  I'm pretty much used to it, but it took a bit to adjust and for my brain to re-train itself, but I will never be able to tell what direction sound is coming from.  
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

DocGP

If you guys want to see pics,  i don't mind posting.   But i will wait a day or so and see if the moderators feel it would be inappropriate.  One from this morning when i went back and found the missing digit,  i cannot explain. 

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

kantuckid

Late to say I hope yer healing up nicely. Back in the 50's when kids were building rockets and all sputnik crazy, a schoolmate of ours (around 8th grade), he'd built one and was setting up on a concrete curbing in Topeka, KS as his launch pad spot. He had a 6v battery and accidently set it off before he was ready. Some of his fingers ended up laying in that gutter! having been blown off by an explosion , no launch as it were. 
I can live OK w/o seeing your moment of truth with your finger. :D
My grandpa sawed a diagonal across one hand on a table saw when I was a baby. I do well with not cutting mine off , well there's the one tip they re-attached some years back, and the one I mashed last fall, so I'm on a roll? 
No pics required... ;)
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!