iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Won’t Be Sawing For A While

Started by SawyerTed, October 15, 2021, 09:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Not sure how or when I tore my meniscus in my right knee.  The MRI yesterday showed what is a pretty bad tear.  Been nursing it since May. 

The orthopedic doctor has me on limited activity until we figure out the next steps.  She fussed at me a little trying to help me understand what she meant by limited activity lol  It's not my nature and she figured that out very quickly. 

So sawmilling is off the table.  I had to postpone jobs this week and next.  Probably off of sawing until next year.

Doctor Emily is carrying most of my share of heavy chores.  God blessed me with a good woman.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

With torn meniscus, they often just go in and cut away the bad part and that relieves most of the pain.  20 years ago I split my tibia in half like a piece of firewood and then the broken piece cut my meniscus in half.  The cut off piece of meniscus fell down inside my bone.  They were able to put it all back together and sew the meniscus back together.  They said that I was young enough for the meniscus to heal, but much older and it would never grow back together.  It's doing pretty good so far, but I still expect to have arthritis or replacement.  I have heard of replacing meniscus with cadaver tissue and some sort of artificial meniscus.  Good luck Ted.  I hope they get it fixed soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

That is tough but there comes a time when us high energy types have to start slowing down and pacing ourselves. Otherwise we end up bent, spindled and mutilated. Have you got hobbies you can pursue to keep yourself occupied and out of the boss' hair?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

Hobbies that don't require standing walking or otherwise stepping up and down etc? Hunting and fishing probably won't work. Nor will woodworking.  I'm pretty good at drinking beer....lollol

I do paint a bit.  I suspect that hobby will get more time for a while.  I read a good bit now and smoking meat is pretty sedentary although the cholesterol consequences may be bad lol
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crossroads

I'm sorry to hear this, I hope you are able to get it fixed and recover quickly. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

What kind of fishing requires your knees? You have a boat, it has chairs.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Southside I'll  leave these here. Not really extreme but I suspect the Doctor doesn't consider these "limited" activity  :D

Last year

Last week

December 2019 pre COVID-19 

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear this 
Get yourself feeling better Sir 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Patrick NC

While you are recovering you could offer a class in hardwood lumber identification for dummies like me that failed your test! I'm sure some of us would be willing to pay for that.😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

kelLOGg

Sorry for the tear. We high energy types have a tough time adjusting to sedentary practices. Hope it heals fast.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

TroyC

Tore  mine last November. After initial pain and swelling, had 2 more flare ups. In July had MRI, results showed tear and  2 other issues. Putting surgery off till after deer season. Ran mill yesterday, taking it real careful! 

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

SawyerTed

Quote from: Patrick NC on October 16, 2021, 06:45:14 AM
While you are recovering you could offer a class in hardwood lumber identification for dummies like me that failed your test! I'm sure some of us would be willing to pay for that.😁
Boy I wish I were the expert you imagine that I am!   :)  There are others here who are trained experts.  I'm just a "retired pert." ;D

Southside

Well the problem is obvious Ted. The fish you catch are too dang big!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

That is a tough thing. I had a torn meniscus and it was quite painful.  I got tired of nursing it and went and got scoped.  They trimmed up the tear, and vacuumed out all the floating around crud in my knee joint. Three little holes for the incisions.  

After about a week on limited activity post surgery I was back working again.  Pain was mostly gone and faded a little while later.  The surgery was no big deal.  It was a walk in outpatient surgery, and I was walking again within hours. I had a buddy who had the same surgery and was back coaching his kids ball team the same afternoon.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Sorry to read this Ted. Sitting around recovering can be a lot harder than any 'work'. Maybe you can find a poject you have been putting off, like web page work, re-organizing your books, Catching up on reading or studying tree books or lumber stuff. Think about it, you should be able to find something.
 I can tell you when I read this last night I was in miserable pain from handling overweight slabs yesterday. Hearing your plight put it in perspective for me. Still in enough pain now that I won't/can't saw today but I know this will pass eventually. Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery and repair.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Maybe it is mother nature's way of telling you you need to study the inside of your eyelids for pinhole leaks.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SawyerTed

Quote from: GAB on October 16, 2021, 10:19:57 AM
Maybe it is mother nature's way of telling you you need to study the inside of your eyelids for pinhole leaks.
GAB
My wife says "breathe"....

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on October 16, 2021, 10:40:49 AM
Quote from: GAB on October 16, 2021, 10:19:57 AM
GAB
My wife says "breathe"....
You should be able to do both at the same time.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Nebraska

Tore one of mine working on a cow 10 fought it for 2 or 3 years. Had it scoped not good as new but serviceable. I think the deer hunting and fishing   would be good activities for rest.  One of those electric bikes to get you to the blind and back. Duck hunting is a good activity  for rest  too. It's pretty sedentary.  Good luck with the wheel.

Roxie

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 15, 2021, 09:20:38 PM
Otherwise we end up bent, spindled and mutilated. 
That would be me.   :)
It takes me forever to do anything, but fortunately I have forever. 
Now, you take it easy and heal up because catfish. 
Say when

sealark37

The bone doc will tell you the meniscus repair will fix it, but not like new.  Depending on how much he/she trims, the repair is temporary.  Don't wait too long on the knee replacement when the pain returns.  Replacement will fix the knee, but the leg muscles will not understand the changes.  My knee is fine, but leg muscles may never catch up.  Good Luck!

Poquo

I tore meniscus in both knees in a car accident in 1985 , the left one was fixed the same year . i put off the right one for 20years ,should have done it sooner the day after surgery it felt better than it had in years .The only issues I've had is some stiffness in my knees when I stay still to long .Walking 5-10 miles a day helps more than anything else .Hope and pray for fast recovery .
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Durf700

knees suck!  I more than feel your pain sir!  I completely tore my ACL and MCL 9 years ago at same time..  2 surgeries later and it still isn't right..  I can do everything but sprint and jump alot..  never have or will trust my knee again. it lets you know when it is time to slow down sometimes now..  

that was a long recovery.. 

get better, order that laser for your mill..  it will give you something to tinker with!  sharpen up all your bands you have , clean up stuff...  order up your maintenance parts and be ready for when you heal up. 

Don P

Michelle had a partial replacement this spring, that went really well. She did her pt, there is a stationary bike in the living room with mileage on it. She goes in for the hip tomorrow, that is going to take awhile.

Thank You Sponsors!