iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Won’t Be Sawing For A While

Started by SawyerTed, October 15, 2021, 09:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Hope she's doing okay.  Of course she's been through a much more involved procedure.  Hope she recovers quickly and completely!  And the physical goes like you want it!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

If carrot cake is good, then they supplied you with the very best drugs.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Self medicated with the carrot cake. I had to order it when we stopped for lunch on the way home. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

red

Good Luck on your recovery . . follow Doctors orders 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

samandothers

Very best to you Ted and Don's wife Michelle.  I hope healing is quick and PT not terrible.   I hope this day after finds you healing with no or little discomfort.

SawyerTed

Ok, I feel like I'm doing pretty well on recovery.  

Today I'm up, showered and dressed.  Very little pain but still swollen.  What pain I have is controlled with OTC meds. No need for crutches or cane and can bend to past 90° without pain. I believe swelling is preventing more range.

It hurts less now than before surgery.  I'd call that a step in the right direction.   Will know more about sawing on Friday.  I don't expect to be back to sawing until December. 

sawmilllawyer

Good for you, Sawyer-Ted, I injured my right knee in a motorcycle mishap, had knee surgery a couple of years later. While in recovery, Nurse asked me if my knee hurt I said no because it was the first time in years that I was'nt in pain. Used the crutches and followed Docs orders, took it slow and had a good rehab.I think you are wise to not rush into working at the sawmill full time.  Let it heal, the work is'nt going anywhere it will still be there when you heal up.  Best of everything
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

samandothers

This is great news!  Don't rush into something and over do it.

SawyerTed

For those who may be interested, the physical therapist gave me three main exercises after an assessment a week ago Friday.  She said I was doing amazingly well for just over a week after surgery.  She gave me the option to decide if I want to come back.  I told her I would do the exercises for a week and decide.  I am not going back - exercises are FREE, PT visits no so much $$.

The Dr. took the stitches out last Monday and was pretty shocked to see my range of motion and minimal pain and swelling.  She said she didn't believe the PT report at first until she saw my progress for herself.  She was quite clear that I needed to wait until the surgeon releases me before I do anything besides the PT exercises and "light duty."  I'll see the surgeon in early December.

So I am walking normally most of the time.  No limp generally.  Walking on uneven surfaces is not good, like across my gravel shop driveway.  Going up stairs is no problem, going down I do feel a little tweak of pain.  Swelling is minimal and more in the late afternoon.

All in all, today my knee is significantly better than prior to surgery.  I'd count that as a success at two and half weeks after surgery.  

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on November 15, 2021, 02:53:51 PM"light duty." 
SawyerTed:
Light duty: You need to start with one 8" log x 8'long to get your sawdust fix and your body reacclaimated.
Just one a day until you get that release.
I'd hate to hear you suffered from a sawdust fix withdrawal, that would be bad.
Wishing you the best.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Don P

Glad to hear it is going so well  8)
The signs must have been in the legs. Michelle's hip is doing great, same story with the docs. We were set up for her to be down for the winter. I forgot to oil her up this morning. Last night, I heard the brace squeeking when she came in from a meeting at 9, so driving, good on urban terrain but no 4wd yet. I'm not going to be surprised it she wears the brace out in 6 weeks  :D. This morning I saw her step down the stairs normal and gave her a "Hold on!". The pt's had cleared her for normal stair stepping yesterday. As always, I'm last to get the memo  ::) ;D

samandothers

Great news!  Congratulations to the leg infirm on their recovery efforts and results!  I hope the recovery continues on the progress!  Don't over do it or do to much until after the green light.

Don your mention of signs made me smile, I heard that so much growing up.

!

SawyerTed

Quote from: GAB on November 15, 2021, 03:28:34 PM
Quote from: SawyerTed on November 15, 2021, 02:53:51 PM"light duty."
SawyerTed:
Light duty: You need to start with one 8" log x 8'long to get your sawdust fix and your body reacclaimated.
Just one a day until you get that release.
I'd hate to hear you suffered from a sawdust fix withdrawal, that would be bad.
Wishing you the best.
GAB
I wish that recommendation would fly with the doctor at home (she is a PhD after all).  She would "skin me alive" (there's one for the Sayings and Expressions thread) if she saw me doing anything she doesn't approve.  I'm certain she wouldn't approve any sawmill work.  I believe she and the female doctor have some sort of "sisterhood alliance" to keep me corralled until the surgeon releases me.  It really is probably for my own good.

SawyerTed

Don P glad your wife is progressing well.  I know it is a relief that she is doing better than expected. If she is anything like me, she's feeling a little stir crazy and wanting to do stuff.  

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Suddenly as though there was a disturbance in "The Force", billions of fish quickly retreated miles and miles from the coast leaving a tsunami in their wake..  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Fish tremble at the mention of my name!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kantuckid

Quote from: samandothers on October 26, 2021, 11:00:36 AM
I've heard it said the only difference in a terrorist and a physical therapist is you can shoot the terrorist!
When I was doing my PT after my full rotator cuff tear I quickly learned that certain therapists in doing the hands on manipulations were those who knew how to find that "sweet spot that's not so sweet as it hurts" and helped to move me towards full range of movement. Others sort of wiggled my arm and talked to their buddies, so I began asking for certain PT's by name. In HS and college, the best athletic trainers had that same feel gift to get you going again.
Look forward to the days ahead for both patients above! ;D
My knee is "ripening" and likes those cortisone shots-#9 coming up in Dec..
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SawyerTed

I posted sawing details in Whatcha Sawing 2021 on my sawing yesterday.  My son was a suitable substitute on the mill after a bit of coaching. 

This morning, the day after" my knee is fine.  Still a little sore and swells during the day.  But after several hours on my feet yesterday, I'll say my recovery is going just fine. 

Thank You Sponsors!