iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice Logosol MS881

Started by scottbucks, November 11, 2021, 05:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottbucks

Hello everybody thanks for the great forum, I am in the process of buying a logosol f2+ sawmill and a ms881 chainsaw. I am interested in milling all of the dead ash and oak on my land in south east pa. mostly to build a couple of sheds and maybe a timber frame gazebo etc. I have tons of dead trees mostly between 20 and 25 inches wide a couple much larger that will not fit on the logosol.  this is hobby for me, I have a full time job and wife kids etc.

So my question is, should I stick with the MS881 or get a ms661? I allready have a ms462 for firewood duty, I. want all of this to last quite a while and I am not an expert at fixing chainsaws. If i go with the ms881 any suggestions on chain and blade type? Anybody have any experience with the logosol and the ms881?

Thanks for any advice you might have

scottbucks

It would be useful to swamp bars between the 462 and 661 but, if I just use the 881 for milling maybe it would not matter to much?

WV Sawmiller

Be careful cutting those dead ash. Around here they tend to get soft about half way up and are liable to fall back on you when you go to cut one down. Also watch those dead limbs.

Good luck with the mill just stay alive to do it. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tacotodd

Use the 661. You can always do double PH duty EASY! Then you'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 165+ cc of engine power. No replacement (mostly) for displacement! ;)
Trying harder everyday.

richhiway

I used two saws on my Logosol. A 661 to break down the logs into cants then a 460 to cut the boards.
Saves a lot of chain sharpening, the chain lasts a long time cutting the clean boards. 
I used granberg ripping chain I found it to be the best.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!