The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Sharpener  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Jturning

• Share Post
Re: Sharpener
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2021, 02:48:44 PM »
Does anyone know if woodmizers 5 in cbn wheels will fit on the Viel sharpener?  I see they only offer 2 profiles.  It is hard to read the directions in French. And I have a bunch of 747s and want to get a low cost cbn sharpener.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 03:57:37 PM »
I'm hoping that they do 
I'm going to try to get them to work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 05:10:50 PM »
I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter. I forget the model numbers. My local guy that was doing my sharpening raised his prices and has been struggling to keep up for the last couple months. I figured, if Im running the carbon steel blades, it would pay for itself in 6-7 months at the new price. The timing wasnt great for spending 5k, but it was time to make the move.
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here. The setter is ready, but they can't get the sharpeners. Got an email yesterday said maybe in a couple weeks.
Oh, thats not good news. I believe those are the same ones I ordered and was told 3 months. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline Durf700

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »
they are worth the wait..  I sharpened and set 20 bands in a few hours last month.  I enjoy doing it also..  not to mention the quality control!  if I do a bad job I can yell at myself...lol...  but no...  once you get them dialed in and know what to look for its pretty slick! 

I don't worry about changing out bands now a bit sooner than later.. I have the BMT 250 and BMS 250.  be sure to order an extra cbn wheel.  I ordered the 2 I use and had to wait a few months for them.  I like to have a spare on hand like with the belts and micro switches/solenoids. 

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2021, 03:31:43 PM »
I ordered the T7 and 10 wheels, hopefully theyll show up with the machines. Ive been saving back some blades that I suspect would possibly be rejected to practice on. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »
Good call Bruno. I hope they work out. There are other CBN wheel suppliers out ther for sure. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
What's the price on one of those Viel machines?
$1,400.00 US + $135 shipping to my yard
The grinder is a baldor which is a good brand unit.
Bruno,
What blades are you running and what wheel did you order with your Viel?  I ordered one of these last week but having a hard time specifying the right wheel.  
I also played a little dollar conversion game.  There is another company that sells this in the US for $1,100 + shipping, but out of stock, no ETA.  So I went on the Viel site and you can choose CDN$ or US$.  The US$ price was $1,217.21.  OK, that's better.  But I went ahead and paid in CDN$ with PayPal.  PayPal's rate of conversion was better! $1,164.92 + shipping (US$89.73) and supposed to ship this week.  But with Canadian postal, I might not see it until February! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »
The grinder is a baldor which is a good brand unit.
Bruno,
What blades are you running and what wheel did you order with your Viel?  I ordered one of these last week but having a hard time specifying the right wheel.  
I also played a little dollar conversion game.  There is another company that sells this in the US for $1,100 + shipping, but out of stock, no ETA.  So I went on the Viel site and you can choose CDN$ or US$.  The US$ price was $1,217.21.  OK, that's better.  But I went ahead and paid in CDN$ with PayPal.  PayPal's rate of conversion was better! $1,164.92 + shipping (US$89.73) and supposed to ship this week.  But with Canadian postal, I might not see it until February! ;)
I'm getting a wheel for WM turbo 7's 
There are some wheels on Amazon I'm going to buy if the arbor size is the same.
They are 5" I think they will work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Cjross73

• Work in progress
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »
 :P
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor
WWG1WGA

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »
I'm getting a wheel for WM turbo 7's There are some wheels on Amazon I'm going to buy if the arbor size is the same. They are 5" I think they will work.
My unit was supposed to have shipped last week.  I'm getting one of their wheels that matches the 10 profile (mine are 9's).  They said that WM wheels won't work on their unit.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline boonesyard

• I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2021, 03:09:46 PM »
Just got word that my sharpener and setter are on the way  8). Looking forward to taking control of our blades in house. I'll have to get started on building a rolling cart for each one. 
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2021, 07:59:05 AM »

Is this the way all CBN grinders work? What I mean is grinding on the side and not coming down from the top perpendicular.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2021, 08:38:59 AM »
Tacks Y, yes you want the wheel to drop into the gullet and touch all 3 sides at the same time. Grinding on the way down is not good. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
The grinder is a Baldor which is a good brand unit.
Bruno,
Just got an email with a tracking number.  My units is going out the door today.  Because of the delays, they left my order with the original $15 shipping the web site defaults to and waved the additional charge of the normal shipping for the unit.  So, I paid C$1,400 + C$15 through PayPal.  My credit card shows the final charge of US$1,177.40.  The BMS 25 from WM had a final charge of $917.38.  I'm thinking this is a major upgrade for only $260!
John Sawicky

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2021, 04:32:28 PM »
Mines shipping next week  :)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2021, 08:44:45 PM »
My shipping label was actually created back on 12/8.  If finally updated today as being picked up and scheduled to be delivered on 12/23.  Just in time for Christmas!  They are in Canada and I think they are using a boarder town to speed up the shipping.  It shows that it originated in Presque Isle, ME.
John Sawicky

Offline Erik A

• Cutting up logs is just plain old fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2021, 12:39:11 AM »
The other reason was it was cbn with a dry set up.
I'm very sensitive to oil now for some reason. I don't know if it's because of all the meds I'm on or what.
I know the wheels won't last as long dry.
I researched dry cbn and there are lots of things it's used 
The oil is a lubricant and also cools the wheel. Water does the same thing although not as good of a lube. Might try as little as a water drip onto a sponge that is touching the wheel. What wears out the wheel is knocking the bits out of the plating or sintering. Consider cutting just a few thousandths and try not to be aggressive when sharpening. That may help the wheel last longer. You can dress diamond wheels, is there enough material to dress a CBN wheel ?? ??

You can use the pink rv antifreeze it has rust inhibitors and I believe it is fairly non toxic.

Offline Erik A

• Cutting up logs is just plain old fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2021, 12:44:41 AM »
My unit was supposed to have shipped last week.  I'm getting one of their wheels that matches the 10 profile (mine are 9's).  They said that WM wheels won't work on their unit.
I thought you built one?? 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2021, 01:43:52 PM »
I thought you built one??
I recently rebuilt my dual tooth setter.  I made a sharpener with a grinding stone on a radial arm saw a few years ago.  Worked pretty good (better/faster then the local WM resharp) for the first 100 sharpenings.  The biggest problem with that was I could only put a 3/4" stone on the mandrel when I really needed a 1" stone to make the entire 7/8" profile.  That and the fact that the stone looses its shape pretty quickly and needs to be redressed.  So, I gave up on that and decided to go with a commercial unit.  I thought I'd do the BMS25 (12v setup) for my property but the shipping delays were just too much for me - then this Viel showed up.
John Sawicky

Offline Lostinmn

• Full Member x2
  • I was me, but now he's gone.
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »
My shipping label was actually created back on 12/8.  If finally updated today as being picked up and scheduled to be delivered on 12/23.  Just in time for Christmas!  They are in Canada and I think they are using a boarder town to speed up the shipping.  It shows that it originated in Presque Isle, ME.
Really looking forward to a post Christmas hands on review!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WM pro series sharpener and Cooks sharpener with pics.

Started by customsawyer on Sawmills and Milling

61 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 08:45:10 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Fix the LTAGA Sharpener or Buy a New CBN Sharpener?

Started by Mountain_d on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2019, 10:26:18 AM
by Bandmill Bandit
xx
WM sharpener

Started by xlogger on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post November 11, 2017, 09:25:53 PM
by Chuck White
xx
new old sharpener