iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Blade For Pecan?

Started by Jay B, January 02, 2022, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay B

I have been trying several different blades along since getting my mill back in the summer. For the most part 4° 1.25 works well which is fine with me, I would like to keep only 1 or 2 variations on hand. 

I have recently acquired three of my pulp wood truck loads of old growth pecan from a lot that was cleared, probably around 20 tons or so. The butt logs are over 2ft and around 18 ft long while lots of the limbs etc are more in the 8-10 inch range. 

I was wondering if the 4° was the right blade or if I should consider ordering something different as this is my first time sawing pecan. I think the 4° did fine for me on white oak but not sure how density of the pecan compares etc. 

I am down to the 4° 1.25 and some 1.5 747 that I am willing to set up for to use, my mill has a 25hp but is that is the very bottom of the hp requirement for the wider blades but I need to use them up at some point too. 

Sorry for no pictures, I have to get my bride to help me do that. If I get a little time off work this week I will try to get some pictures and see if she will help me get them posted up here.

Jay B

Magicman

Quote from: Jay B on January 02, 2022, 05:25:12 PMlots of the limbs etc are more in the 8-10 inch range
Limbs are not logs.  Limbs spend their life holding weight at a more or less 45° angle and will do some bad things when you saw them and release that tension.    :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

My mill is 25 hp and I use 4° bands on most hardwood.  They should do ok in pecan. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!