iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

idea for a "Transportation" thread or board

Started by Engineer, February 08, 2007, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I dunno if this is the right thing to do, or ask for, but I'm gonna try anyway. 

A couple other places that I see online, have a place, either a whole discussion board or a thread, that you can post the following:

- You're traveling somewhere with a vehicle that has empty space and would be willing to transport "something" that fits in the vehicle from a point at or near your starting point to a place at or near your destination, or somewhere on the route you're taking.  Or transport something from your destination back to your starting point.  You tell us where you're starting, where you're going, about when you'll be making the trip, and approximate size and weight limit of what you can carry.

OR:

- You are the owner or buyer of "something" and would be willing to rely on the good nature and courtesy of your fellow FF members, one of who might have space in their vehicle, to transport something for you, even if it took a few days, weeks or even months to get from point A to point B.  You post what the item is, where it needs to go, and when you would reasonably expect to have it moved (or you'll find an alternate way of shipping).

I wouldn't expect this to become a place where somebody's got a pile of logs that they want moved from Seattle to Tallahassee for nothing, for example; but suppose I was driving from here (Southern VT) to western PA and had space in my truck and one of my friends here needed "something" that fit in my truck (an anvil?) moved from Albany to Cleveland.  I could do that.  The way I see it is, friends helping friends and why not, you're making the trip anyway.

If this is a bad idea, feel free to tell me so.  If not, I think it could be implemented with some success (interstate shipping regulations notwithstanding).

treebucker

I've seen it too. Sounds like a good idea. Save money and resources + get an excuse to visit. The one I saw operated within a single state. They seem to have good participation.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

ely

i had thought the same thing in my mind, but it took an engineer to bring it to the forefront. it is good to help each other when we can.

Larry

Me two thinks it's a great idea.  I'll even volunteer...running nw Missouri to nw Arkansas several times a month.  I move sassafras north and basswood in a southerly direction, trying to keep everybody happy.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

This is a possibility but I think it would be a member perk board if it were to happen. Where the details are kept to the registered members of the forum. It could either be near the travel board, or the commerce section.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nailhead

I think it's a great idea. I just traveled from East Texas to the U.P. of Michigan with a half full trailer.(or is that half empty)
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Quartlow

I think its a great idea, somebody around here is always traveling, heck some of us enve have sawmills that travel  without the owner knowing where or why  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Furby

Corley5

Sounds like a good idea to me also  8)  I'll be heading south to Fl from Mi through In, Ky, Tn, Al, the Fl Panhandle and as far south as Ft Meade.  Leaving next Thurs afternoon if there are any packages that need to be delivered along that route.  Hope the cold doesn't follow us this year  ::) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!