iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trim Around Log Joists

Started by tree.farmer86, February 08, 2024, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree.farmer86

Hey all, any ideas how I can go about trimming around these log joists? There used to be a dividing wall here between the kitchen and also a staircase for that matter.

From the kitchen side I'm keeping the oak beams exposed, but I would like to trim around them from the other room.

tree.farmer86

The pine siding is to the right(wall), the log joists are the ceiling. I don't know why the forum is orienting the images this way.

tree.farmer86

The best idea i've got is to put a 1" perimeter board up and use wood filler to try to recreate the contour of the logs that are cut too short to reach the trim board.

Don P

Make the trim board the thickness of the ugly? 2x, 4x whatever that notch dimension is.

doc henderson

make a foe beam to fill the void from the wall being gone.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

As I have the tools and equipment, this is what I envision.

1. First, finish the wall up to the top unless you plan on crown trim between the logs.

2. Measure the diameter of the beams.

3. Using a suitable matching/complementary wood, make hollow multi-sided shapes(think octagon or decagon) as close to the diameter of the beams.  Some beams might be a slightly different diameter, so some adjustments to the shapes might be needed.

4. Mount shapes on a lathe and turn them round.  Maybe put a bead on them. Or you could leave them as they are.

5. Cut shapes in half or to fit. Stain and seal.

6. Your choice of mounting.  Screws, liquid nails, glue.

6. Seal gaps with caulk or putty.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!