iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning Structural Engineering

Started by Woodland Dave, February 09, 2024, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodland Dave

While perusing the forum here I have come across what seems like a lot of engineering concepts. I read things like shear wall, moment of bending, modulus of elasticity, etc. I am trying to work out a timber frame design for a small home and in the future several more structures. I am wondering if I should take the time to learn some structural engineering and if so, how to go about it. Are some of the knowledgeable folks on this forum actually engineers? Or is there a more basic understanding of structural concepts that people here use to refine their ideas before they hire a certified engineer. I'd like to have this knowledge to bring more flexibility to a build. If things change then I can access the integrity without going back to the engineer. Also when figuring out how best to utilize my woodlot resources, which are limited, structural engineering knowledge would help inform decisions from the start. I also have an unhealthy desire to do everything myself and I am trying to see if this is somewhere I should draw the line.

I have been looking at this textbook: Design of Wood Structures- ASD/LRFD, Eighth Edition by Donald Breyer
https://www.amazon.com/Design-Wood-Structures-LRFD-Eighth/dp/1260128679?

Looking at the table of contents it seems pretty comprehensive. Would a book like this be enough? Or am I hopelessly naive in thinking I can learn enough about this topic to build safe structures? I do love learning, feel I am a pretty quick study, and enjoy math if that changes anything.

Thanks you all!

rusticretreater

My way of learning any new subject was to preruse all the books I could find on the subject and select three to study.  Whatever I found in all three books was gospel and anything else was something to try and maybe add to the bag of tricks.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Den-Den

I have an engineering degree (not structural) and took a few classes that apply to this.  Some self study of books will improve your understanding of this topic greatly.  Two things to watch out for:
*  A little knowledge can be dangerous, be careful about exceeding your limits.

*  Sizing beams, columns etc is pretty easy.  Getting the details about connections right is a LOT of details.  Connections is where most of the failures occur.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Don P

Old carpenter here. I do have that book, in the 3rd edition, I predate LRFD and I'm good with that. ASD (Allowable Stress Design) is plenty good for what I do, even the name is understandable. It is a good text, I have a scrap of paper hanging out of it at the cantilever beam design section... what timberframers seem to think is a continuous beam... so there is stuff worthwhile right there.

"Simplified Engineering for architects and Builders" is a good entry level.

"Wood Engineering and Construction" Faherty, Williamson

Free; Wood Structural Design Data" under the publications tab at awc.org has a good section on beam design. The NDS is the code reference, available there. The supplement there is the allowable design values.

I learned with my hands and read simultaneously, we all learn our own way, or not   zzzz_smiley.

And I do agree, a building is a bunch of serious connections separated by easily sized sticks.

Woodland Dave

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go ahead and get that book and look into all the other resources suggested. So if I understand things right, figuring out the sizing of the timbers is not the most challenging part. It's designing the joints. And be careful of thinking I know more than I actually do. Thanks for the perspective. I'm looking forward to learning more into this fascinating subject.

Crusarius

One thing I will add, I worked for a structural engineering firm for many years a very long time ago. All designs are calculated from the top down. you have to size the beams correctly for loads at the top and then as you go down the members need to support themselves and everything else above them.

Sod saw

None of the above replies are wrong.  Each person has a different learning style and that is a good thing.

After you do some reading and sketching and feel comfortable with your understanding of the subject, one more thing to keep in mind.

Once you have decided on a design, unless you are a Licensed Engineer or Architect, you must employ the services of an actual Engineer or Architect.  The person who designs a building is personally responsible for that buildings outcome.  If there are issues with that building the designer will be looked at to prove that it was not their design but something else that caused those issues.

Here in NY State the design professional can not hide behind a corporation.  The design professional is always personally responsible for their design, even if they work for a "company".

Having said that, you would probably be held responsible for your design if there were bad things to happen to you building if you did not hire a design professional to finalize your rough design thoughts. 

My Dad was an Architect.  I have his books as well as all of his job blueprints.  I understand some principals but I am an electrician not a building designer and always hire an Architect or Engineer for the final drawings for building permits.  I have had an Engineer and an Architect "inspect" the lumber that I have cut for some of our buildings built here.

So, don't be afraid to be creative and study to understand what will work and what will not.  Have fun with your dreams.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Thank You Sponsors!