Started by reswire, December 06, 2014, 05:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on December 07, 2014, 07:14:26 AM
The jig is a good idea.  Can you post a pic of it?

If there's damage on the board I can fix it with a draw knife.
The edge cleans up ok it's the frozen sawdust that's a pith  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

You are right.  It is not fancy  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

that will work all day long!  nice siding for sure,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I sawed for another guy 11 years ago and my first job was to saw a whole whack of 5/8" x 8" WRC siding. The local service station installed it as lap siding. It still looks great. No checking or curling.

We stacked and stickered it straight off the mill, kept it outdoors for a week (in July), and then delivered it to the job site. They stained as many boards as they could and nailed them up the next day.

Since then I've sawed some 5/8" x 8" Douglas-Fir now and then, to be used for lap siding. Same approach -- air dry for a week in the summer and tell the customer it's ready. It always looks good.

No one who installs this stuff nails the bottom edge, and they always stain both sides of the boards before installing them.

There are some species (poplar, aspen) that I wouldn't use for this purpose.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rimshot

I cut some cedar logs into 1/2" X  4"pieces AND THEN usedhe rough cut boards as  as siding on my granddAughter's playhouse  I built.  Then I built a chicken coop out of the stuff.  I used a bostitch gun with 1 1/2"
galvanized staples and it worked fine.

"
I used it to side the playhouse  I built my granddaughter
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Thank You Sponsors!