iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having a blast and getting in shape too

Started by Patrick NC, April 12, 2020, 03:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Just giving a report on how everything is going with my new mill. I'm having a great time learning this business. Been making a little money on the side too. Seem to have found a niche market with eastern red cedar. Not getting rich,  but making pocket money.  Another benefit is I've lost almost 30 pounds since I got the mill and am feeling better than ever. I see a larger mill in my future. 😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

Good for you. It is not easy to make money with a mill.  If you stay with it you will find that bigger is always better for cutting wood. The more steel you have the more you can cut. In the past I passed up machines I thought where to big for me, what a mistake.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Keeping it fun is key if it's a hobby/side job.  Sawing as a business can be fun but some days are more fun than others.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Yes it can be fun but it can be frustrating at times just like most endeavors. I just finished 3 hard days sawing 4,035 bf and I am feeling aches in muscles I had forgotten I had but it was certainly healthier than sitting on the couch watching reruns of Gunsmoke. Keep enjoying what you are doing and congratulations on finding and filling the niche market in your area. I am still looking for a niche market as a bikini inspector but I digress. My wife says at my age I would be like a dog chasing cars and not knowing what to do with one if he caught it. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!