iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick fix - machinery

Started by metalspinner, February 05, 2007, 11:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

This tension knob served me well for 6 years, but succumbed to the pressures of the job.  I spent the last five days without the use of my bandsaw waiting for a replacement knob to show up. ::)  I use the saw daily for income, so work was backing up.

Today, after getting off the phone with the dealer questioning him to the where about's of my part, I had a vision of a quick fix.  I don't know why it took me so long to realize that the part is just a 3/8" x 16 screw.  Duuhh.

Well here are some pics...

Maybe this can be a spot to share all of our quick fix's so that somebody else might be spared one of those Duuhh moment's. :-[

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

Where did all your pics go?  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

metalspinner

QuoteWhere did all your pics go? 

I think I made a big boo-boo.  Jeff's working on it.

Furby

metalspinner

I needed to rotate the second pic, so I went to the gallery to delete the horizontal one.  Well, I think I deleted all of them.  Jeff said he has some of them backed up.  I guess this shouldn't be under the "quick fix" heading. :-[

Furby

:D :D :D
Least it was only a couple of pics.
Now don't do it again! ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: metalspinner on February 06, 2007, 12:23:12 AM
I needed to rotate the second pic, so I went to the gallery to delete the horizontal one.  Well, I think I deleted all of them.  Jeff said he has some of them backed up.  I guess this shouldn't be under the "quick fix" heading. :-[

I did the same thing only I deleted ALL the pics in my gallery....Jeff had ta work real hard to plug all the pictures back into the proper places after I sent them to him..... >:( >:( ::) ::) At least now they are backed up... ;) ;) ;)  I think there's still a few blank threads out there.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

metalspinner

QuoteI did the same thing only I deleted ALL the pics in my gallery

We have our own fraternity then.  I did the same thing.  :-[  Jeff sent me a message this morning saying all the pics were back because he backed up all the files through 12/10. 8) 8)

Maybe that delete button should have a safty gaurd on it. :-\

Jeff

I dont think I got all the photos, anything after the 10th of December I didnt have.  As of last night I did another complete photo backup.  :) It usually takes an accident to get me off my duff to do a fresh backup. Dats a lot of pictures! counting the thumbnails the gallery creates, well over 100,000 photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

QuoteIt usually takes an accident to get me off my duff to do a fresh backup.

Glad I could do my part.... :D

DR Buck

Metalspinner,

Before I added the quick release tensioner to my bandsaw I did a very similar fix.  Not because it broke, but because I got tired of beating my knuckles on the frame turning the small knob on the tensioner.   I ended up  replacing the piece with a very long 3/8 bolt that stuck up past the top of the sawhead.  Then I fastened a metal doorknob on the end to make it easy to turn. :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Larry

Bandsaws are my favorite machine to tinker with and a soft spot for the small Delta's.  For the tension I usually just add a piece of all thread high enough to clear the top and put on a nice crank.  I've even made my own quick release...to much work for the benefit.

I hate the small, cheap thumb screws so I replace them with a real knob.  For the older octagon post models I drill and tap for a brass screw to take any slop out.  Metalspinner has a new model with the round post...sometimes good and sometimes not so good.

And if you know where there might be a early model with the art deco cast iron base...I might know somebody, that might know somebody, who might be interested in buying the machine/and or parts.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Engineer

All-thread, two nuts jammed together above the top of the saw, and a cordless drill with a nut driver.  Quick tension, quick off, no krankin'.  ;)  I got two Deltas, one newish, one from 1937, and they both have that "fix".

metalspinner

I am using my ratchet with an extension on the new screw to tension the blade.  That screw cost me $1.09.  Delta wants $44 for a replacement "Quickcrank Knob". :o

thurlow

You can make a good "knob"/handle/whatever out of 7 or 8 nuts.  Get 7 of whatever size will work or will fit your hand, put one in the center and braze/weld the other six around it.  May have to weld the 8th one (smaller size) under the center one to match up with the correct threads.  I've used them on faucets/table saws,  etc.  They often work better and are stronger than the factory one..................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Thank You Sponsors!