iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corley manuals

Started by spraguep, September 01, 2015, 05:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spraguep

Any place where one could find manuals for older Corley mills?

:P

dgdrls

have you tried Corley directly?

Best
Dan

Corley5

I asked Corley about manuals for my #5 mill once upon a time and was told they never had manuals.  The men who bought the mills had lifetimes of experience and knew what they needed know without having a manual.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

When I called Corley about manuals I did have a very nice conversation with an older gentleman who grew up around his family's Corley mills.  He lost a finger tip to a carriage drive cable when he was ten  :)  He was very interested in my old mill  8) 8) 8)  This was close to 15 years ago.  Time flies.

spraguep

Quote from: dgdrls on September 01, 2015, 09:28:47 PM
have you tried Corley directly?

Best
Dan

I did. Didn't get a response either. I was just wondering if someone had a site with some thing there.

I'll give them another shot.

beenthere

Might be worth a shot to contact http://stores.schellsaws.com/ in Blue River, WI.

They list Corley parts, and may know more about the old manuals. This is run by family of Harry Schell who was quite famous for hammering saws for circular mills back in the day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Did you call Corley by phone ???   423-698-0284

svart ole

Give Corley a call and talk to Vivian (Customer Service Manager) quite the historian. Helped me ID the mill I have and sent me drawings, parts lists, casting numbers. From what I understand Corley has always been a family operation so they have saved records and information from WAY back. Now if you are talking a "owners manual or operators manual" as others have implied most outfits building sawmill equipment years ago just figured you would know what you where doing when you ordered a sawmill so they shouldn't have to tell you how to. I also understand that if you are new to the game now days it is a bit hard to find anyone close to home that has a good background in sawmills and can provide real guidance. I was lucky, or maybe not and started learning about sawmills when I was old enough to carry a slab. The only bad habit my Dad ever taught me. The rest I picked up on my own.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

spraguep

Quote from: Corley5 on September 04, 2015, 09:00:16 PM
Did you call Corley by phone ???   423-698-0284

Yes, I did. I got sent to a phone mail box where I left a nice message and never heard back.

I guess I was looking more for info on the mill I have by serial number, not a how to cut a log book. When it was built, what model it is, perhaps even a site plan on how to set it up (since its disassembled). Its been my dad's mill since the early 50's and I grew up around it, sorted the green chain and even sliced up a few. I'll admit its been a while but I'm not totally stupid*.

Considering where it is, its going to be a few months before I lay my hands on it anyway.

Regards and Thanks!

*Please do not consult my wife concerning this.

Corley5

As I remember the first two digits of the serial # are the year.

spraguep

Quote from: Corley5 on September 06, 2015, 08:01:35 PM
As I remember the first two digits of the serial # are the year.

That would make this a 1950. Thanks! Were there different models they made? I see on the interwebs and youtube that most of the Corely pics and vids show a single bladed mill. This one had a top blade run by a belt off the mail lower shaft. I've never see one quite like that or did most people just get rid of the upper blade?

Dave_

Quote from: spraguep on September 06, 2015, 03:13:40 PM
When it was built, what model it is, perhaps even a site plan on how to set it up

When I contacted Corley about our 395, they were very helpful.  I received a layout plan that really helped.  I hope you can make contact.

svart ole

Here are some images of info I go from Corley. One has specs on different mills, including #5 the other has setting and foundation specs. Never tried posting pictures so we will see how this works. If you can't make them out PM me with your email and I will send you the .pdf files

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

spraguep

Thanks! This helps tremendously!  :)

and

:new_year:

spraguep

How time flys. I'very been tinkering with a business plan doing custom milling, etc al. Not particularly a high speed low drag operation,  more of a a boutique type operation.  I've been talking to the local EDC guy that pointed me to some interesting local people. I have found out there isn't any thing other than chain saw mills for 50 miles at least and  that's highly surprising considering where I live.
Turns out it might be a fairly turnkey startup too as I  found out there is a 100 hp electric motor with evetything that an electrician says should run. (Well at least not catch on fire if you tried to spin it up)

So I need a site and a supply of raw material.  I think I could sell just about anything I could make.

Can someone talk me out of this lunacy?

spraguep

And, I found out there is a 6 blade gang saw hiding out with everything.

markd

Well I see this is an old topic but I'll try to get someone to talk about it again. I have an old Corley mill Number one I think. My problem is that it has been sitting out and the husk frame has rotted away and I'm going to try to rebuild it but I lost my diagram of the positioning of all the pieces. I have some 4x 12s all cut to size to put the pieces on but I need a diagram of how they fit together, anyone got a clue?
markd

Thank You Sponsors!