iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Car Port

Started by Bro. Noble, July 14, 2008, 09:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

My son ,Tom,  ask mewhat I thought about him getting one of these metal car ports that have popped up everywhere at the tune of 6-800 dollars.  My first reaction was that we could build one onto his house that would look better and cost about the same.  After trying to come up with a design,  it looks like to do it right and make it look decent,  it would cost much more.  We had about decided that the pipe frame and sheet metal roofed ones didn't look that bad ::)

The other day,  a fellow came by the mill and asked us to cut him some cedar 6X6X8'.  Said he was going to build a carport.

That got us to thinking about building a separate carport.  I don't know why we didn't think of that to begin with.  We got a surplus of trees and a mill.

I'd like ideas and/or pictures of what any of you have done. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jim_Rogers

So you're looking for a design of a free standing structure just the roof and some posts to hold it up, right?

What size?

How many cars, one or two?

What roof slope? or flat?

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bro. Noble

Right,  Jim,  roof and posts ;D  Possible one or more sides enclosed.

One car,  with a little extra space for mower,  grill etc.

The roof pitch should probably be about the same as the house to look best,  what do you think?

Tom would really go for a carport like the one you just posted from Idaho------if he had the house to go with it.   What a work of art 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jim_Rogers

I think the standard parking spot is suppose to be something like 9' wide by 27' long. But I could be way off on that.
Do you have a size picked out yet?
And what is the house roof pitch?

Making the carport roof the same pitch as the house would/could make it seem correct or somewhat connected, that is less out of place.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

red

There was a posting

Cheap Roof !!! Maybe

it was started by member Hiya 

Sept 19,2004  can someone post the link ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ADAMINMO

Thank You Sponsors!