iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Super hydraulic pumps

Started by JustinW_NZ, November 24, 2012, 12:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Chasing around looking for a reason my hydraulic pumps have been sounded a bit different and the system itself was slowing down on last use.
I DO have a leaking fitting which I will replace so perhaps thats all it is?? (not a huge leak)

But anyway if you look at the photo there what looks like  abreather on one pump and a bit of magnet on the other sides hole?! (next to the red filler bung?)

Someones pump a different fitting in there for some reason also.
Is that hole  a breather for the tank?
And also, why would fluid pop out that hole as mine did today (hence part of the mess)

Also, the mills got over 1200hours on it now and I see your meant to check the brushes in the pump motors, is there a guide somewhere on how to do that?

Thanks for any advice  :P

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Meadows Miller

Gday Justin

Im sure one of the Woodmizer boys will be along when they start getting up in the morning Mate  ;)

Aint equipment upkeep fun Like they say if its got uhmm,tyres or tracks your in trouble  ;) :D  But im pretty sure it will be an easy fix Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Hydraulic fluid coming out of a filler hole is a sure sign that one of your pumps is either not running or is running intermittently.  With only 1200 hours, I would doubt that you have worn brushes.

I would first check for a failed/failing power relay (solenoid).  That is the normal failure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
One of you pump motors need brushes, it will be the one that the oil is pushing from the breather. At 1200 hours both will need brushes. Some owners remove the complete assembly. I remove the two long bolts and the motor wore and remove just the motor. Monarch company does not have the brushes available to repair the motor. We could at one time repair these in the field. If you have a company that repairs starters and alternators they will have access to brushes and should be able to repair and get you back in operation. When you get the motor back make sure you get the male and female ends ligned up before you tighten the motor to the pump. If the timing is not correct you will smash the pump drive.
These things are messy inside from the carbon best thing to clean is brake clean.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

JustinW_NZ

Thanks for the replys. Ok will test solinoids and will pull pumps to check/repair.
Any diagram for these assemblies showing the bolts etc?

Cheers
Gear I run;

SPIKER

NOTE when cleaning inside the DC motors Brush area you should not use Brake Cleaner, as some brands can soften the enamel paint on the motor as well as the insulation on the wiring.   There are some specific cleaners formulated for motor cleaning and are available thru Grainger & others.   Been trying to remember some brand names such as "CRC Electrical Motor Cleaners" available at many automotive places like Oryles & autozone.  ;)

Brushes might be a standard size and also can be had on-line if you know the Dim and Electrical Connection method.   company I use here in Ohio is J&N Automotive they have a HUGE selection http://www.jnelectric.com/ great prices for this type of items.. 8)
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

Be sure that you have 12 volts going to both hydraulic motors before you pull the units.  The motor that is running is pumping the fluid out of the unit that is not running properly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JustinW_NZ

Thanks all. Good advice.

MM i was going to test the solinoids by putting headrig forward and the earthing out each solinoid in turn to see if they run the pump they are on. That should be all is required?

Are these normal long type brushes in these things? Any idea what length they should be? / service limit?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

JustinW_NZ

ok update..

Rewired the switch and solinoid stuff since it was very bad before.
Verified both pumps were going.

While watching it i could see a little puff of smoke come from the first motor i was suspect on.

decided to pull in out and see what the story was..

Brushes look like there lots of room to go yet BUT
that picture was AFTER i used a can of contact cleaner to get all the carbon soot of everything.
I think the motor was arcing and not running right becase of the rubbish inside it.

Ive since taken both out and pulled the pump/hyd pump off the tank and cleaned the tank while I was at it.
The brushes were more worn on the other pump but still life in then for sure. A fair amount of soot as well.

I need more cleaner and I will clean/reassemble the whole lot and see how it goes then.

Oh, bearings feel rubbish too, will replace those while ive got it all apart...

Thanks for the help

Justin
Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!