iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 044 bar size

Started by hilux, March 09, 2006, 07:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilux

What bar size do you guys run on your 044 size saws , I have a 36 inch bar and it seems to handle it well.

rahtreelimbs

I guess this is where perception comes into play. I would never bar up an 044 with more than a 28" bar........that is with full-skip chain also.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

hilux

I guess the only real reason I use them is because my Dad had a bunch of 36 inch bars and chains , My 044 did not come with a bar I dont know why I bought it from a dealer, it was damaged from the factory the oil fill protector was broke off so they took of a $150.00. They said it would be a PITA to replace the case.

Rocky_J

The 044 works well with a 24"-28" bar. The $150 discount isn't all that great if you consider that my local Stihl dealer gets $65 for a Stihl 24" bar and another $30 for a chain. Sounds like a $55 discount, sorry.  :-\

treeboy

I have a 25" bar seems to run well - big enough for my trees. Same price as Rocky_J - they tried selling me an Oregon bar, but the 044 cuts better with the Stihl bar - or at least looks better :D

hilux

When I got the saw I never did get a bar and chain , I just used my dads old bars , It would have been nice to get a stock bar for it though. I just bought my first bar the other day it was a 36 inch for $63.00.   finnaly ran out of good bars .

fishhuntcutwood

I gotta be honest hilux, I'd call a 36" a bit on the long side for an 044/440, even in soft wood.  I run a 28" on my 440, and a 24" on my 044.  I don't put on a 36" until I pull out my 660.  Run what you like, but I think you're short-changing yourself with that set-up.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Woodhog

I run only a 16 inch bar on my MS440...

That saw sort of scares me compared to my Husky 357XP and Jonsered 2159..

sawguy21

What are you cutting with a 16" on the 440. Sorta like going after squirrels with a 12 ga. ;D ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Yep, kinda reminds me of hitting a tack with a sledge hammer.  But don't mean to poke fun. You gets what you likes. :)

I run a 20" on MS361 and like the balance. Any longer and it would be 'bar' heavy and seems would not sit without tipping onto the bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hilux

I think I will go ahead and get a smaller bar 24 inch.

Woodhog

I am cutting spruce logs, largest about 28 inches on the butt .. the Ms440 usually is just sitting on the tractor  watching the 357XP work...

I use it once in a while to fall the larger trees and to limb the larger ones with those big
knobs, however it makes my wrist sore after a while...

It is also good for lowering high stumps on the extraction trails, the poor Husky 357xp almost catches on fire, while the MS440 justs chugs away on that stuff...

The saw was a dealer demo and we bogged down in the dealing over a new longer bar so it still has the 16, I wanted an 18 but he wouldnt throw one in the deal...

It makes the Husky 357xp look quite sick..

flip

I run a 28" on mine and found that is all it SHOULD handle.  I think any more would drag down too much.  My dealer recommended no more than 28-glad I listened.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 10, 2006, 08:41:26 AM
What are you cutting with a 16" on the 440. Sorta like going after squirrels with a 12 ga. ;D ;D

Yeah but the speed and power is bad to the bone!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

logger

I run a 20" bar on my 440 and 460 and they are both monsters!  I couldn't have said it better, rahtreelimbs! :D :) ;D 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Dan_F

At my real job, we use a 28 inch bar with skip chain on the 440, its just right. On the subject of 16 inch on the 440, we use a 16 inch bar on the 66 and a 20 inch bar on the 88 ;D
2001 F-350 flatbed dump, JD 550, Kubota L48, Cat 966, Cat D7, Lucas 613, 14 husqvarnas

Alta

Stihl indicates that a 36 is ok for an 044 but its the limit. In the published specs i think it says 32 is the max. The thing to think about when you put a 16 or 20 on one of these says is that it allows you to exceed the max RPM (around 12,500) and unless you have a tachometer, you are just guessing wheyn you re-tune. Ideally you would set the no load max to 12,500 but in my experience most people dont do it that way.

sawguy21

Years ago, a mill I did work for was using 090's with 24" bars on the barker. I had to cut the mechanical governors back to keep the operators from over revving and blowing up the saws. I don't see any need for a short bar on a large saw unless you are milling or slabbing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Frickman

I'm using 20" bars on 044's and 046's. Any longer and I lose too much horsepower, and am better off using a 660/066. A 20" bar will cut over 99% of the local timber. Last week I cut a red oak that measured 48" across the stump with a 20" bar on a 460. If you live out in the northwest, or take down alot of large, urban timber a bigger bar on a saw will probably be needed more than by a logger like me.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Dan_F

We use such short bars only in winter when we get calls from clients that had trees come down in storms and they just want it taken care of fast. They like seeing the big saws getting the work done and it is a little faster. You just have to pay attention to not damage the saw.
2001 F-350 flatbed dump, JD 550, Kubota L48, Cat 966, Cat D7, Lucas 613, 14 husqvarnas

SawTroll

Quote from: Dan_F on March 11, 2006, 01:12:48 AM
At my real job, we use a 28 inch bar with skip chain on the 440, its just right. On the subject of 16 inch on the 440, we use a 16 inch bar on the 66 and a 20 inch bar on the 88 ;D
Over here 15" bar is standard on the MS660, unless you buy it with Picco (PMX) ripping setup..... :D :D

Quote from: Alta on March 11, 2006, 12:55:29 PM
.... The thing to think about when you put a 16 or 20 on one of these says is that it allows you to exceed the max RPM (around 12,500) ...
Not if you are tuning the saw with the shortest bar you plan to use, or retune each time you swap the bar.
Information collector.

boboak

Out here (gotta make that old "east side/westside" distinction) I've seen 044s with a 32" bar used as landing saws.  The knot bumpers like them 'cause they don't have to stoop over so much.  No real cutting power even with the 32 but  much easier on the body.  For any serious bucking they'll go to a bigger saw.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

Thank You Sponsors!