iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmills Retain their Value

Started by Magicman, January 21, 2012, 05:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

While cleaning out some old sawmill file folders I noticed a 2005 printout from Sawmill Exchange so out of curiosity I looked at today's prices.  The value of the sawmills listed are virtually the same now as they were in 2005, and also the same as they were in 2002.  A comparable sawmill such as mine is still listed for the amount that I paid for it in 2002.

How about that for retaining it's value  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Yes MM I think if a man keeps his mill in good order , he can get the price he paid an more sometimes. :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ironwood

Good point and some tractors (certain brands) have done the same over the 10-15 year period.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Meadows Miller

Gday

They will retain their value for a long time as long as they are in good serviceable condition and have been looked after that goes for both the portable mills and the larger production mills to an extent  ;) A good mill will last you a lifetime if you look after it  ;) ;D and if you flog it to death and dont put nothing into it you will have mill that is basicly scrap  :) ::)

The good thing with mills is unlike buying a car or truck they are usually not superseded by a fancy new model  that everyone wants and the old one is worthless most mill manufacturers still supply their Original model Meadows Mills still do the #1 after 90 odd years and Woodmizer still dose the LT40 after 25 years roughly since I saw the add for the first one and Lucas Mll still dose the 6-18 after 18 years for example just that there are upgrades and mods that have done over the years an old one or a new one will still cut lumber as long as the company and  parts are still there  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ellmoe

If only the dollar held its value that well!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chuck White

That's exactly what I've found, Magic.

Just keep up the maintenance end of things and the mill will keep it's value!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!