iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Quote from: trapper on January 14, 2020, 11:32:19 PM
Talking with my doctor when getting my bp checked she suggested I  talk to a sleep doctor.  went today for the appointment.  The dr completely ignored any causes like restless legs and other possible reasons.  He insisted on a sleep test at the hospital and then fitted for a mask.  It was like  dealing with a used car salesman on commission  for selling the sleep test and mask.  I will refuse the appointment if one is made. This hospital just paid a 10 million fine for doctors to refer people to them.  My regular dr is great.
There are recent findings, r.e. Sleep Apnea that say it has other factors aside from the two types previously always mentioned. I've had two sleep studies done and all the regular tests for breathing, oxygen you name it. I tried a mask twice and found it was made illogical for me based on seasonal and chronic allergies affecting my breathing and stopped mask use. I get far more relief by choosing a new allergy doc and regular use of a netty pot and various nasal sprays that free up my breathing. All said, I am NOT! a medical person, just from my point of view. Were it not for back pain and joint pain my sleep would be fairly normal so my wife says.
When I was being stabilized from my heart attack in 2005, an ER doc began lecturing me as to needing a sleep apnea test. This from a doc who knew basically zero about me except the here and now! My wife who was nearby told him to spare the lectures for a better time. It must be beat into some of them? 
My cardiologist shared $6 million dollars with another heart doc for turning in some other heart docs who were doing unnecessary heart related surgeries, like by-passes, etc. BTW, he's still working at age 71. By personal observation I think he likes the vibes from the cute nurses around him...
We are on medicare with a free supplemental from KY teacher retirement and pay very little out of pocket for any joints, beyond smallish minimums. I also have my choice of docs and use one of the best in the country IMO. Honestly dental care cost me more than all the rest as it's never covered by insurance. Even when I worked Delta Dental costs more overall than going to local providers out of pocket as they had lower prices to begin with when Ins cost was added in.
Things like the $7-800 shoulder sling you'll get for a shoulder surgery, your paying for development costs, so they say. I ran into a guy who saw mine and said he threw his away the next day as he didn't like it. Well, I didn't like mine either but was hoping for my shoulder to stay together until it healed! I asked a women next to me in PT how she liked shoulder surgery and her sling, she replied "they are free" so whats not to like?

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

Preliminary tests and X Ray indicates a torn rotator cuff.  Insurance approval and MRI is next.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

My great uncle bill called them his rotator cups!  he also had his Cadillac's fixed as well. :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on January 15, 2020, 02:23:44 AM
I wish you guys would stop bragging about your new body parts.... when I went looking for a New Liver and Kidney, I found they don't make them in my size, so I had to go look on the used market...

Oh, and costs... simultaneous liver and kidney about $1,600.000. Throw in some dialysis, paracentesis, and drugs and the total exceeded $2,200,000.00. Now I detest payiong the monthly premiums at around $1600/ mo, and the $6400 out of pocket, but it's the first time I think I've won on an insurance scheme...
Stuart,

If you are still looking for new or slightly used body parts I can refer you to some folks for a new brain - anybody who knew the previous owners can verify they were never used. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My shoulder MRI is scheduled for Thursday and then I meet with the shoulder Dr./Surgeon Monday to find out what is next. 

In the mean time, I am trying to knock out a few sawing jobs.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

My shoulder MRI is tomorrow.
Tree Farmer how are you doing?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 28, 2020, 07:54:17 AMMy shoulder MRI is tomorrow.
?  Thought it was Thursday?  Is this the reverse of "memory loss"?  Thursday seems like tomorrow...

edit (My bad...  I was remembering MM knee appointment.)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Raider Bill

I'm lucky I got the right week sometimes so a day early is a win.
Apt. is the 29th at 12:30
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I had my shoulder MRI done this afternoon.  I now have an appointment with the Surgeon on the 3rd to find out what is wrong and what the next step is.  ::)

Magicman

Rotator Cuff, probably cut/torn by a bone spur.  Surgery on the 21st and then ~3 month recovery/rehab.  ::)

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2020, 07:34:44 PM
Rotator Cuff, probably cut/torn by a bone spur.  Surgery on the 21st and then ~3 month recovery/rehab.  ::)
Have 'em put in some of those bionic parts so you can lift logs with one arm. :D :D :D
I hope the down time won't cause you to go stir crazy.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

doc henderson

you  are such a good pt. it will prob. only take you "90 days" to get better/recover/get back to work! :D  seriously you will prob. exceed their expectations.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Thanks doc, 90 days makes me feel so much better.  ;)

Maybe this was the "event" that took place when the rotator cuff tore??   ???

Not, but I do enjoy having fun while I am sawing.  :)  :D

samandothers

Magicman

Well actually because she was a lady I kinda let her win.

But with her husband, well he didn't go down without a fight.  He said that he couldn't loose, even when joking.  He is a "cage fighter" when not carpentering.

Andries

"Maybe this was the "event" that took place when the rotator cuff tore?? "

Lynn, between milling for months in a sandbox, then taking on fighting playing with cage fighters, you may be onto something.
Wishing you great success with your shoulder operation Mr Magic! 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Nebraska

I from a personal standpoint would seriously try and avoid any conflict  with that fella. ;)
I've never met,  "that I remember", anyone who would list cage fighter on their resume.
 Good luck on your surgery  we'll be watching.  I need to get my wife to do something about her shoulder I think she's got a bone spur wearing on things but won't go get it checked.  O h yeah  maybe cut back a little on the arm wrestling.  :D

Southside

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2020, 07:34:44 PM
Rotator Cuff, probably cut/torn by a bone spur.  Surgery on the 21st and then ~3 month recovery/rehab.  ::)
Well that puts the middle of April about mid-way of your recovery, so a trip to Georgia could be considered part of your PT.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tree-farmer

4 weeks post op, with pt the shoulder is improving. Hard not to over use it. Only allowed 1 lb (can of beans) to exercise with. Trying my best to let it heal. At 6 wweks I get to loose the sling. Thankfully we had had no major snow yet, hard to shovel with one arm.
Still cannot drive truck, straight drive, so its getting a rest.
Looking forward to spring.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Magicman

Thanks for the update and honesty, but it doesn't make me feel any better.  My primary vehicle is straight shift, and doing nothing doesn't fit my lifestyle at all.  :-\ 

I am a week and a half away from surgery and if this stinking rain will let up I need to saw two more customers before then.  One is a several times repeat customer who is taking chemo and needs his sawing done between treatments.

samandothers

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2020, 09:22:34 AM
Well actually because she was a lady I kinda let her win.
Yeah right!  Of course with a husband that looks like that it was a wise decision. 

dgdrls

Magicman

Thank you, right now I am in a holding pattern and doing nothing but watching it rain.  The nurse will call me Thursday AM and tell me what time to arrive Friday AM for the surgery.  I am beyond ready.

bwstout

Mr Lynn I am in week 4 from total reversal replacement on my right shoulder and almost no pain now just when over do it on the PT have 90% range. I have had the left one done 4 years ago and it is great and thinking the right one will be the same, but with 4 years more age just a little bit slower in recovery. Good luck on your surgery. 
home built mill

petefrom bearswamp

Best of luck with the surgery and recovery Lynn
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!