iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curve sawing with Alaskan-type Chainsaw mill

Started by Nudgewood, January 20, 2007, 11:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nudgewood

Seems that a characteristic of Virginia pine is a curve in the first ten or twelve foot of growth. As most of what I'm sawing now is relativly small diameter, at least 70 % is curved. I thought I'd share some pics of what can be done to maximize yield.

First I nail a guide-board to one flat side and cut:

Then I roll the log ninety degrees so the curve is vertical and nail the guide-board to that side and crank the ends down so the board follows the curveature of the log:

Cut that side:

That opens the face for the saw to follow for the first board:

All four boards on the trailer, curve down same as they were cut:

They're all flat! I also sticker them in the stack curve down and once air-dry they're regular, flat boards.

One caveat though, there's a difference between a log with a curve and a log with a kink; a board with a kink will flatten but it'll still have a kink in it.

I hope someone finds this interesting and, who knows, maybe even useful.

%<
Sumpin always depends on Sumpin.

Nate Surveyor

Ya know, I really think you are on the right track. This concept REALLY should be incorporated into bigger mills. A curved log follower. And it could maximize the yield. I want to figgure out how to install one on my Peterson... Dunno. But, it sure could help yields.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

beenthere

Curve sawing is done in large production-mills now, I believe.

Here's one link
Curve sawing
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!