iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder tire sizing question!

Started by Oliveoaks, March 31, 2022, 06:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliveoaks

We have an international s7 series B skidder. The tires on it are 16.9×30. This is a difficult tire size to find in forestry tires. Can I replace them with 18.4×30 and keep the rims that currently have the 16.9×30?

snowstorm

almost all the deere 440 came with 16.9 30

Kodiakmac

Quotealmost all the deere 440 came with 16.9 30
Yup.  I replaced one about a year and a half ago.  There were all sorts available at that time.  
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

tacks Y

I am not an expert but...... I would put the 18.4 on those rims if that is what I found.

newoodguy78

Not sure on forestry tires but on ag an 18.4 and 16.9 are interchangeable, I've done it. Going wider I'd just make sure you have the clearance. 

Frickman

I used to own an old John Deere 440 with 16.9-30 tires. New tires were very easy to find, but a little pricey. I ran Firestone Forestry Specials. Any Firestone dealer should be able to get them for you. The Firestone auto tire dealer in town used to get them for me.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

newoodguy78

I bet the issue he's having is supply chain related. The most common of items can be like finding hens teeth. I sure don't understand it but deal with it every day. 
Was just talking to a local guy yesterday that's in the dirt work business. He's having a hard time getting 24.5 truck tires in the brand he's been running and had good luck with for years. He's not looking for deals either, he's more than willing to pay. His dealer of almost thirty years simply can't get them. 

barbender

I just heard the other day that NAF axle parts (used on a lot of cut to length machines) are getting hard to come by- they are a German company I think, but the castings and some of the steel comes from...Ukraine. We have a Cat 535 Skidder waiting on EGR parts, 6 weeks they say. The dealer has it running in limp mode plugging the DPF filter, but otherwise it has to get parked.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!