iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trans filter location and change on 1989 170

Started by cowboyup, January 16, 2015, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboyup

Trans pulls slow when starting off, slows more and more. Can turn off and crank back few mins later does OK for 1/2 mi or so then slows again. Going to change filter but know nothing about this thing.
Where is trans filter located, is there a certain order I need to follow? Thanks

so il logger

should just be a spin on. pretty straight foreward to change. Also should have a sump screen in bottom of tranny. if its like a 92 c6 then the spin on will be on left side in front of cab if sitting on machine

cowboyup

Can't seem to see it anywhere. This is old style w 453. Only spin ons I find are for eng.

so il logger

hmm..maybe southside logger will have an idea he has a 170

cowboyup

Thanks. I find there are two cylindrical things in belly under crank pulley, but a lil scared to take apart to see if there are cartridges inside. 3-4" around x 12" I guess. Just flopping around buried under belly crap. Need to clean it up if it'll pull right, if not I gotta git rid of it and get something productive. Nobody around here knows any thing bout franklins. All tj and tc here.

treeslayer2003

one of my uncles had a 88 170, brakes would come on a bit once in a while. i suspect it had weak charge pump pressure.........some thing to check.

Southside

Mine is mounted on the passenger side of the engine against the engine covers - looks just like you described, but I have the 6BT so not sure if yours would have been mounted in the same place and just never put back. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

smwwoody

sounds like you found the tranny filter or filters.  some had one some had two.  There was a problem with the bypass built into those filter housings.  it is an easy fix I have the franklin service bulletin on the fix for the sticky bypass.  pm me your email and I will send you a copy.  I tried to attach a PDF of the bulletin to this post we will see if it works.  I think I have a full franklin parts manual for you machine.  they are much rarer than hens teeth.  if i still have the manual you cover the shipping and it is yours.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

oh yea i forgot to mention that the sticky bypass would not be causing your problem but may be the cause of the damage that could be causing your problem
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

these are the filters that fit

NAPA # 7888