iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I transplant?

Started by Okefenokee_D, January 01, 2020, 06:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okefenokee_D

Had this mulberry tree pop up out of no where under this big Eastern Red Cedar on my farm. I guess it came from a bird. Anyways, it has been producing mulberries every year and I would really like to move it away from this Eastern Red Cedar.

Is it possible to transplant this? It seems to be shooting out some new shoots on the side. 

Southside

I have had very good luck with transplanting Mulberry, just try to keep as much dirt on the roots as possible and it should respond better. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

I'm surprised the birds haven't put one where you want just through sheer numbers. I officially like all trees, but mulberry tests my patience. They sprout everywhere, and are hard to kill. I don't particularly like the berries either. Free food is always good, and I'll eat a couple while walking by, but they're always a disappointment.

gdpipkorn

ellmoe

I'd cut the cedar down and saw it. Leave the mulberry to grow. Of course I like mulberrys! ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

DbltreeBelgians

I transplant Mulberry trees all the time. Straight to the brush pile. I greatly dislike Mulberry trees and my white truck does too. They're nothing but a weed to me. They don't even make good burn pile fodder. Did I mention how much I dislike Mulberry trees? Nuf said!

Brent

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: ellmoe on January 01, 2020, 09:54:20 PM
I'd cut the cedar down and saw it. Leave the mulberry to grow. Of course I like mulberrys! ;D
Lots of cedars on the farm, but I can't. Thing is old. Now if it starts to die...I may consider it. Just no sawmill. 

Brad_bb

Here, Volunteer Mulberry is a huge nuisance.   I would cut the Mulberry stems at the ground and pain the ends with Tordon tree killer.  If you don't poison it like that, it will never die.  You can trim it to the ground and without the tree killer, it will keep coming back.  It will choke off the Cedar and kill it.  Kill the Mulberry now.   If for some reason you want a mulberry, it's easy enough to spade one and plant it, though I don't know anybody who'd actually want one.  The berrys stain anything under the tree, they are very difficult to kill, they throw out suckers liberally when you prune them, they will spread to place you don't want them by the birds.  The only good things about Mulberry is that I like the firewood, it smells good from all the sugar in the sap, and you can mill pieces that are large enough for projects, though probably not very marketable, and not necessarily easy to deal with on the mill liek a saw log is.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

He didn't ask if it was possible to kill the Mulberry, he asked "Is it possible to transplant this?"
Just saying......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I in the "really like the berries" camp.  They are sweet tart.  The wood is hard, heavy, and a beautiful yellow in the heart.  They get big enough to saw around here.  This one is growing under a southern red oak.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

Going to be tough to get a descent sized root ball that close. The number of stems complicate it too. Not impossible, but tough. Mulberries make my life miserable when bicycle riding on a converted rail trail. The trail gets completely covered when the berries fall, as my clothes, hands, and bicycle also get covered as the smashed berries fly everywhere. Have the wash the bicycle every time!

Southside

They do make a very good, fast growing, privacy tree.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

If (a big if for me) I wanted a mulberry there are named species that will make a better fruit, thus I'd not transplant it as there are better choices. Just saw one in a seed catalog.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

clearcut

If you like that particular mulberry, then rooted cuttings would be easier and likely more successful. 

It would be difficult to get a big enough rootball without damaging the cedar's root system. 

I agree with kantuckid, if you want the berries, then a named nursery variety, planted in your chosen location is probably a better option. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!