iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Met a local sawyer yesterday

Started by Rando, September 24, 2012, 05:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rando

Went and saw a Norwood ML26 yesterday. We sawed up a 16" white pine. I was surprised at how easy it was to push through it and how the 13 hp engine handled it.
I have the Little Lady convinced my life would be better with a mill. Now it's up to me to decide which one. I'm leaning more towards a manual mill for cost reasons.
Is there anyone else in the NW CT area or even central NY that has a manual mill that wouldn't mind us coming to look at? I've seen them at the shows but it's hard to get a handle on them when several other people are trying to talk to the salesman also.
Thank you.

ladylake

That's the best way to make a good decision.  Look them over good, maybe watch a hyd mill also and if going with a manual mill check how easy or hard it might be to add hydraulics.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

What's the plan for the mill? Meaning are you going to saw for others? I have an all manual mill. I do NOT saw for others. Just for me.I send them to ones that do.Reason being a manual mill is REAL slow and ALOT of work. To try to make money on a manual mill I feel you would need a helper that will work for free. But there are certain markets that will make you money too.But they are alot cheaper to buy. I'm glad I have one. Hyd mill is way out of my price range. I let my mill sit for 3 years before I needed it again or I should say got time to sawing and building again. I'm probably too far for you,but can always make it a foliage ride too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rando

I have a landscaping/tree business here in CT so I come across logs all the time.
In central NY we have a house and 35 acres with some small timber on it.
We want to put up some buildings in NY. Sounded like a fun way to go about it.
A few friends have some projects also.
Turner Sawmills is a bit south of my house in NY and I thought my next trip up I'd stop and see their mills.
I've already been to the Hudson store.

dgdrls

petefrom bearswamp

bought a WM lt 15 in 2000 had it for  two weeks and returned it.
The first log i tried to saw was a beech 22" dia and couldn't turn it manually, so tried to use my tractor and forks but kept pushing he mill off of the foundation.
Was  very hot to run in the summer when I had it  because of the proximity to the engine  and was a lot of manual labor involved to which I am not averse but was only 63 then and decided that i needed more help.
OK for  a young man who is not planning to make a small business out of it.
Hobby only!
My opinion is to talk to Dave Scott At WM in Hannibal NY you can find them on line.
I have heard good things about Norwood also.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dboyt

If you can afford a bit more mill, Norwood's MX34 portable sawmill has hydraulic options.  You can buy it as a manual mill and add any power components (loader, turner, toe rollers, feed, setworks) individually as you need them.  Their manual winch system works well for loading and turning, though it takes a little time to use.  I've maxed out the mill's 34" max diameter with 10' logs working with the manual winch, with no assistance-- and trust me... I'm no spring chicken.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Rando

I do like the idea of being able to upgrade as need and or money allows.
Turner Mills has that same idea with their mill also. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person next time I'm at my house in NY.

Thank You Sponsors!