iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bander

Started by ladylake, May 14, 2004, 04:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

I need to get a bander. Any advice on where, what kind and where to get the banding .  Thanks Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kevin_H.

Hey steve there is a publication out there called american lumber and pallet. In there is a couple of places to order the tensioner and crimper, As for the steel I buy my at the local construction supply house.  You can find it cheaper on line but by the time you pay to ship a 100 lb coil of steel there isn't much savings, if any.

The website for american lumber and pallet is amlumber.com

You might also try McGregor Packaging at mcpackage.com

We have also bought some from piper's saw shop. piperssawshop.com

Hey one more...generica.net

You might also try some of the local auctions.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

smwwoody

sometimes you can find good ones on E-bay

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

We have several around the mill. We have never bought a new one as there are usually so many sawmill auctions that there is a steady source for buying good/used.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawhead

We use a windlass style bander it seems to put more tension on the band and we have less trouble with them than the friction style. I  agree with most that you can usally find good banders at auctions , most  mfg plants use them somewhere so just look for an auction.
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

oakiemac

As a side note to this thread, does anyone use plastic banding?
I see both steel and plastic on ebay all the time.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ElectricAl

Steve,

Check out Meridian Packaging from Fargo, ND. They are close and shipping will be reasonable.
We get our poly banding and clips from them.
William is our rep.
www.meridianpackaging.com

Oakiemac,

We have been using 1/2" 500# poly for 9 years. Very happy with it's preformance.

We have used metal before and granted it is definitly stronger. But we use poly because it is easier for the customer to cut and dispose of.

We have only had one major poly strap failure, and steel would have failed too. ;D

I was loading a semi in a snowstorm and turned to fast with the wheel loader and had a 700' bunk slide sideways off the forks. >:(

Once in a while someone will drag a fork on top of the strap and one will break, but the other will hold until the bunk is rebanded. ;)

The price of steel banding went shooting up about 2 months ago because of the world steel prices. ::)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Ed_K

I just got a price sheet from Express Shipping Room Supply.
 Seem to be good prices. www.packagingmax.com email:exshiprm@dreamscape.com hope this helps.
Ed K

Percy

I just puchased used banding equipment(tensioner, crimper, and banding cart,Signode brand) for 150 bucks Canadian(10 bucks US :D). Id much rather have one o them fancy all in one units but, the price was right. My buddy Julius has an all in one unit that doesnt use seals, it just gets the banding to stick to itself via perforating (I think). Works slicker than snott on a door-knob but is very pricey.

Some of the buyers around here wont accept lumber with plastic banding. I thought that stuff was  nasty strong and didnt stain etc. Oh well.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

RMay

Steve check with http://www.harborfreight.com/  I got my bander from them .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

DansSawmill

i bought a tensioner and crimper  for plastic and banding too from these guys, think it all was under $150, 900# banding
http://www.papermart.com/
i'm happy with it , low disposal costs
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

Jeff

None of our customers want plastic. Its tensile strength is strong, but it can take anything sliding across it. It will break in a heart beat from a friction cut.  We double band everything with 3/4 stanley banding.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ARKANSAWYER

Like Jeff said my wholesalers will not take a bundle of any thing unless it is banded with steel.  I use that streachy plastic stuff to wrap small bunldles for customers.  It works really well and does not marr the wood or stain it.  Four or five wraps and it will stay together and is very cheap and needs no tools.   Some shippers will not send bundles of wood with out steel on them.  So check before you spend your coin.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

FeltzE

Granger Carries banders and accessories. You can get prices on line granger.com I belive.

Eric

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

DansSawmill

ahh, theres the thing....
 i sell to retail type customers almost exclusivly, they like plastic.
the bundles i put on the truck and take to the wholesaler, he has to break open and grade anyways... so plastic makes sense to me,
but if ya ship to wholesalers, maybe steel is better
dan 8)
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

Thank You Sponsors!