iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deflection problem?

Started by coastlogger, March 28, 2012, 04:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastlogger

My FGM 2000 mill bandmill with 19 inch bandwheels is slightly out of line I guess you could say.Ther drive wheel at its maximum downward adjustment is still 1/8"+ hgher than the idler wheel. This means I have to have 1/8 more deflection on the drivewheel side blade guide,than the idler side guide. Trying to minimize deflection to promote blade life,and am wondering if this 1/8 difference is unusual(ie maybe its supposed to be that way.) Currently im running 1/4 deflection on one side and i/8 on other side.
clgr

redbeard

On my mill the drive side guide roller I lock it in at 1/8" and then bring the idle side down til blade is level. Do this at full tension.  Hope this might help.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

What makes the head go up and down , you should be able to get quite a bit of adjustment there .    Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

coastlogger

The only adjustment I can make for this is the pillowblocks for the driveshaft.They are on a vertical plate and Ive got them lowered max. To go lower needs some thing creative,such as  filling and re-drilling the bolt holes . I will do this if theres some benefit. Trying to find out if and what others have experienced with this before I tackle a possibly unnecessary job(read"wasted day" something Im already quite familiar with.)
clgr
clgr

ladylake

What kind of mill is it. On my TK with the lead screw I can take the chain off between the screws and turn one or the other to get both wheels the same hieght above the deck. If yours uses a chain or cable to raise the head there should be some adjustment there.  On a WM you would just tilt the head in or out.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Coasty,raise the idler wheel to match the drive wheel,then adjust your roller guides equal. Frank c.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

coastlogger

BUT my sliding guide has no adjustment for its tracking angle. Its a tube within a tube that locks with a wingnut type knob. Works well and very sturdy. However this means(at least as best as I can figure out) that I have to level to that,otherwise board thickness will change as slider goes in and out. Sooo I level to the height of the slider,both in and out,and then my bandwheels are (1/8)different in height.Solution would be easy if I had a bit more vert adj. on driveshaft...
clgr

Thank You Sponsors!