iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Lengthwise Notch in Hickory Logs for Rustic Furniture

Started by jbasen, November 30, 2018, 05:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbasen

As a woodworking hobbyist I've built a lot of Stickley style furniture for our home.  However, I'm fairly new to building rustic furniture with hickory logs that we are intermixing with the Stickley style furniture we have.  I need to cut a 90 degree notch lengthwise down a log that will be the leg of a cabinet, so the casework of the cabinet can fit into the log.  

I built a rustic style trundle bed with hickory logs and cut 90 degree notches to support the bed slats by creating a jig and running my track saw down the length of the log, rotating the log 90 degrees, and running the track saw down the log a second time.  That worked well with a 3" diameter log where the notch needed to run the entire length of the seven foot long log.  When I built a couple of nightstands I cut the notch for the casework into the hickory log legs with an oscillating tool.  However, in that case I only needed to cut a 6" long notch at the top of the log since the casework just consisted of a single drawer.  In all honesty the oscillating tool was put under a lot of strain trying to cut the notch in the hard hickory.  

For my next project I am building a low cabinet so the logs for the legs are about 30" long and the notch needs to be around 26" long so the casework can fit into the leg. 

Because the notch won't run the entire length of the log, the track saw I used for the trundle bed won't really work.  Also, after my experience building the night stands, I don't think the oscillating tool will handle cutting notches that are 26" long.  

Any ideas on a better way to cut long notches in a log will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Wudman

Plunge cut with your jig and circular saw and clean the ends up with a chisel?  Or use a router and jig to establish your lines and clean up with a chisel?  I can see staying true on a rounded surface would present a significant challenge.....and getting a true 90 degree orientation for your jig.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Ianab

What about cutting the notch the same way, with the tracksaw, just stopping after 26". Then gnaw out the last little bit with the oscillating tool. That way you only have a couple of inches to whittle out, not the whole 26. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

btulloh

I'm with Wudman on the router and jig.  The jig will give you a good reference surface after you decide what square is on the log.  You can get long 1/2" straight bits that will work.  Take small bites.
HM126

jbasen

Thanks for the ideas!!

It wasn't too bad working with my track saw to cut a 3" log but these legs are only about 1-1/2" in diameter and cutting that with the track saw is kind of like using an axe instead of a chisel.  

I thought about using a router.  It would be an interesting project to create something to hold the log in place while guiding the router straight down the log.  My concern with the router was that the bit would be extended quite far below the router to make the cut into the log once you account for the depth of cut and how far the router needs to ride above the log given the clamping to hold the ends of the log and the irregularities of the bark.  I've had trouble in the past when extending a bit that far.  I got a lot of chatter.  

Thanks again for the ideas.

btulloh

It would certainly want to chatter.  A good 1/2" spiral bit would work if you dropped maybe 1/4" at a time. I've used straight 1/2" bits that are probably 3 to 3 1/2 overall length and they work fine if you don't eat too fast.  Spiral should be better.  Keep us posted.
HM126

jbasen

Thanks @btulloh 

I don't have a spiral bit that wide but I do have a 1/4" that I use on my small cnc for cutting inlays.  I can make passes with that using it like running the track saw down the log.  

Thanks again

thecfarm

Stickley? Had to google that one. Looks like there is a Stickely store in Maine even.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Thank You Sponsors!