iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade rust prevention, dull and sharpened

Started by MikeInTexas, June 19, 2019, 06:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeInTexas

Hi to all, my name is Mike and i am VERY new to saw milling, just got my Norwood HD36 assembled and running.
I have several blades that need sharpened and will be setting up the sharpener and setter i got from Norwood soon, but i am seeing a little rust on the dull blades. What is the best rust preventative to use pre sharpening and post sharpening. We have so much humidity down here so it doesn't take long for rust to set in.
I didn't wantv to put something on them that was going to gum up the sharpening process!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

A-z farmer

Mike in Texas
I coil up my dull blades and store them in a drum with kerosene in it .when I get 15 blades in there I take them out wipe them off and send them to woodmizer resharp.The kersone I use to flush out our motors on the farm when changing oils so I am getting a second use from it.

Zeke

Chuck White

When I'm done with a blade on the mill, I will flood it with lube/coolant mix to clean it, then wipe it down with a rag to dry it!

I will usually sharpen my blades the same day I dull them, after sharpening them, I will wipe them down with an ATF soaked rag and put them in the box for the next day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!