iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do you guys do it?

Started by breederman, November 27, 2003, 04:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

I had this cookie of a big ole pine log that I had sawed and decided to make a table like some I've seen pics of here. It had been around a while before I brought it in and set it behind the furnace. How do you smooth up the top? Tried the belt sander and clogged op the belt.Should I just chuck it and find a piece of hard wood? :-/
Together we got this !

C_Miller

seven inch grinder and real coarse sanding pad.
C
CJM

Minnesota_boy

Buy a belt sander cleaning stick and just keep at it
You could go back tothe old ways and use a scraper.  They don't clog up like a sanding belt, but you have to learn how to sharpen and use them.  Properly sharpened, they will take a curl off just about like a hand plane without any gouging.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

Try an electric hand plane. Light cuts and DO NOT cut clear across the piece and chip off the edges. ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

I have first smoothed off the surface with a one inch router bit and then used a large air drive disc  sander. ;D
Frank Pender

Brian_Bailey

I'd use a sharp #62 low angle jack plane. It will do a mighty fine job on end grain.  Then like Minn._boy suggested, use a scraper, but a well tuned #62 will be more than good enough. Start from the edge and work towards the center.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

MemphisLogger

I second Pender's advice . . .

Screw some straight (jointed) boards that are a little taller than the cookie is thick on either side of the cookie, keeping them parallel to each other. Put a plywood base on your router that's twice as long as the distance between your parallel boards and take off a 1/16 to an 1/8" at a time with the widest flat bottom bit you have 'til you've got it flat. It shouldn't need any more than a wee bit of scraping or sanding to get it perfect after you're done with the router.    
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Viking

good idea :) everyone i know is now going to get an end table for x-mas from me haha.

breederman

thanks guys, I like the router idea.  :)
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!