iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Stain

Started by Scott G, May 30, 2007, 12:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott G

does anyone know how to get rid of sticker stain on oak timbers?  The stain can not be planed out.

beenthere

I'm not sure which post to answer...... ::)

I'd try oxalic acid to try to reach the stain. A pic of the stain would be great, and some info on the stickers used to get the stain would help.

Oxalic acid info
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Scott G

Won't allow me to upload a picture (files are too big?).  But it is an oak sticker on an oak timber that just sat there a little to long and has visible white/yellow mold.  then after planning it is a darkened area that really sticks out after applying finshing oil

beenthere

Then the oxalic acid might be your best bet.

See the Help button above for the photo help (great tutorial). Shows how to downsize the photo's to 450 pixels and under 35k file size (resize to 450 first tho). All files start out too big, from my camera anyway.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Scott G

I can't post the images but I did put them in my gallery.

beenthere

I see your pics (good job  :) ), but need some interpretation.......(the work is done when you have them in your gallery...just paste them into your message window.  Also, you can go back to a message and modify it, to include your pics and an explanation). :)

The pics look like you tried some bleach or oxalic acid, and managed to get rid of some of the stain. True? 
south central Wisconsin

Tom

It makes me wonder of there might not be a market for sticker stain. 
Something like "Fairy ladder" or "stack blush".  :P ::) :D

TexasTimbers

Stack Blush. That's good Tom. But Fairy Ladder, now that's down right poetic. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thomas-in-Kentucky

If you haven't already, I would try some bleach - maybe 70% water and 30% bleach (or 50:50).  Scrub with a plastic brush after 5 minutes and then rinse good with water.  If you are worried about the effects of bleach, try it on a small spot first, but I don't think anything bad will come of it - it just might not work though. Call me an optimist, but I think some of what you are seeing might fade with time.  Maybe you could try some benign neglect and give it a couple of weeks w/o doing anything.  :)  I remember obsessing over a few spots like that on my timbers (especially the braces which I crossed up and stacked w/o stickers - planned to be working on them in a few days but a few days turned into a few months...), but now I can't find any of those spots in my house.  Maybe they are covered up with other mistakes now.  :)

"Fairy ladder" or "stack blush", now that's just too funny Tom.   :D  :D

-Thomas

Scott G

Nothing but planning has been done to that piece.  I will try the bleach and see how that works, but I don't think it will go away with time.  I guy I work with tried that and he still can see it after two years. 

Thank you for your suggestions

WDH

Unfortunately, you are probably stuck with it since it is a chemical reaction that has occurred.  Kind of like gray stain from oxidation of some woods like hackberry.  Once it is there, it is not easily reversible.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Quote from: Scott G on June 01, 2007, 09:28:44 AM
Nothing but planning has been done to that piece.  I will try the bleach and see how that works, but I don't think it will go away with time.  I guy I work with tried that and he still can see it after two years. 

Thank you for your suggestions

Nothing but planing? I can understand that for the first pic shown, but how about the 2nd pic? Was some bleach or other chemical used on it? They don't appear to be the same piece.
south central Wisconsin

Tom

The photographs, while maybe could be called sticker stain, look to me to be white rot fungus.  It happens when the stack gets wet or when the stickers and the wood are both green.  I'll bet the fungus has entered the board and you won't get it out.  I would throw away the sticker too.

Jim_Rogers

Obviously it was a very wide sticker. (unless that's a closeup shot)
Most stickers I use are only 2" wide and are fully air dried or kiln dried before I put any wood of any value on it.
Never ever stick wet wood with wet stickers......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

Never stick anything with wet stickers ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Scott G

The bleach lighten the stain but still shows up to much to put it on a show face.  I am going to have to hide it up againts a wall of ceiling. 

But the sticker was 7" x 11" piece of oak that sits on the ground and just wicks moisture from ground, so it is always wet.  I have started to groove the bottom stickers with a chainsaw to help air dry the tops of the stickers. 

Most of the stickers I use are 3x3 or 4x4 dunnage nothing special.  I have come across a company in Ontario that produces grooved stickers.  I have only order a handful to try out and I absolutely love them.  They have completely eliminated the sticker stain problem on those few stacks.  I am in the process of trying to get the approval of replacing all of my stickers with these groozed ones. 

www.breezedried.com  is the website.  At about 2.50 / sticker for a 3x4x48" they are really worth it.

Tom

Here is an older thread that will give you some good info on drying stacks and stickers.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12624.msg175943#msg175943

Member Flip had some stickers for sale  in the commerce section too.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25181.msg359887#msg359887

Thank You Sponsors!