iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flies

Started by TexasTimbers, June 12, 2007, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on June 26, 2007, 05:37:00 PM
So you killed them with a slice of ham baloney?  ::) ::)

That stuff would kill just about anything...... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

TexasTimbers

;D You notice I didn't use any raw ribeye. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Radar67

Quote from: Tom on June 12, 2007, 05:10:57 PM
The trap described of the jar and lid with holes in it is very effective.  I  have a different operating strategy though.  Place a small piece of meat in the bottom and some water.  The flies get in and can't get out, they drown.  Leave the dead flies in the jar, their body fluids add to the water and there body is more bait for others.  There is no need to tend the trap until it becomes too full to work.

I made one of these and they work. An old plastic mayonase jar with 5 quarter inch holes in the top, a pinch of wiener and some water. I had a jar full of flies in a week.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

TexasTimbers

man I would need a jar full of flies in an hour to do any good. They are everywhere. they are fighting each other for airspace and landing on top of each other enearly where I have my laptop, and there is no food source anywhere near where they are congrogating. Except me. Maybe I am dead and don't know it yet.

Furby

Maybe ya should just shower. ::)

TexasTimbers

That shower is a good ideer.

Tell ya what I did in the meantime. I cleared the desk of all paper and secured all lightweight stuff. Then I rolled my 13,000 CFM shop fan (made in Arkansas not China) over to the desk and turned it on. No flies. Not one. It's a little cool though and I had to reposition the laptop so the monitor was sideways in the jetstream as it was unable to stay open against the blast. No flies. Not one.

Furby

SwampDonkey

These guys don't mess with bologne, they go for live, pulsating, blood filled, flesh.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Excellent macro Donk. Did you take that pic? That's just a regular housefly ain it?

Furb I wasn't joking about it being cool. The moist air at that speed works like a swamp cooler. I had to turn it off it was too cold. Only one fly has yet to return and a quick swat just sent it to maggot heaven..

SwampDonkey

Kev, I took the pic in 2004. It was a deer fly working his mandibles down through my cotton shirt in search of blood.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

I hate deer flies, BUT THEY LOVE ME!!!!!!!!

Bruce

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 27, 2007, 04:50:34 AM
Kev, I took the pic in 2004. It was a deer fly working his mandibles down through my cotton shirt in search of blood.  ;)

Oh what a photographer will do to get a picture ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

yikes_smiley

where's my fly whacker.  ;D

TexasTimbers

"Timing has alot to do with the outcome of a raindance" :D Saw that on a customers website just now. I guess you would want to do the dance right before a rain. I don't think a town would pay if you did it right after. :)

SwampDonkey

TexasTimbers

Here's my results. i was not able to attract many customers with my mason jar (actually a plastic jug) trap. I tried 3 different types of bait. Lunch meat, peanut butter, and tuna. I only caught 3 or 4 flies in 2 days. I used 1/4" holes like you said radar.

I got so fed up I wnet and bought some Raid Flying Insect Killer Formula 6. I will probably die of cancer in a year but I have NO FLIES! That stuff works immediately. I have 1 or 2 show up over the period of a day but I quickly swat them. All I did was soak the sides of my garbage can with the spray and also the entire shop floor. I don't plan of licking my shoes any time soon.

The flies are virtually gone. I know these carcinogenic sprays are not a good idea but I do not plan to use them often. i don't think I need to. There are dead flies all over my shop. I watched them land on the side of the can and in a few seconds they would fly off, do funky spins in the air, drop to the floor, and go into convulsions before going off to fly heaven.

Like I say, I may be clueless but I am also nearly flyless. ;D

Radar67

My jar is plastic as well. I use a piece of wiener with just enough water to leave the top part of the meat exposed. Mine is almost full the second time around. I place the jar on the ground, I read somewhere that it had to be less than 4 feet off the ground to work??? Maybe you just didn't hold your mouth right when you put it together.  :)

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Furby

Quote from: kevjay on July 02, 2007, 10:43:57 AM
All I did was soak the sides of my garbage can with the spray and also the entire shop floor. I don't plan of licking my shoes any time soon.

She does!

Radar67

Quote from: kevjay on July 02, 2007, 10:43:57 AM
All I did was soak the sides of my garbage can with the spray and also the entire shop floor.

Maybe you should empty your garbage more often.  ;) ;D ;D

Stew

beenthere

We bag our garbage in 1 gal. plastic baggies and store it in the freezer (old refrig with upper freezer) during the week. Then it doesn't have a smell to it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!