iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forester

Started by Farmboy 96, May 18, 2015, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy 96

Hey since lots of you guys told me early that getting in contact with a local forester could help me a lot with lining up work for me i was wondering if a forester would really even be willing to help me. I mean when working in the the woods I do a good clean job and care greatly about my work but everyone says that and half of them are just full of BS so nobody really listens to that. Since I'm just 18 and looking for my first lot to cut would they even help me out?

mesquite buckeye

Welcome to the forum. ;D

Stick around and learn some stuff. :)

I would suggest you start out working with somebody who is experienced and has integrity. I don't know how much background or experience you have, but I think you could benefit greatly from being around an old hand at this business.

Good luck.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Farmboy 96

Ive been working in the woods with my father for as long as i can  remember but it was just on our own land. Im not saying I'm the best because by no means am i but i can definitely handle my own in the woods. I just need to find lot for this summer. Ive got one lined up for this winter but thats another five six months away. Early people were saying that one of my local foresters could probably help me find some work. But I was wondering if they would really help me were I'm so young. If i could just find a lot to cut i know for a fact that it would start getting easier for me to find work.

mad murdock

The more peoplr you know in the industry, the more successful you will be. Knowing some foresters, and more importantly, the foresters knowing you amd the type of work and ethic you have to offer is invauable.  If a land owner gets a recommendation from the forester to have you do the work, that is gold, IMO. As others have ststed, if you know reputable loggers in your area, offer to sub with them as well. If they are fully mechanized and you offer custom work and selective "low impact" logging, that may be something they need on a job. You will do well as you strive to develope long lasting relationshios with other professionals and land owners alike.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

PaulM85

The only way to find out is to ask one. When it comes to getting help at this point its a gamble, some people will help, others won't. If the first one you ask doesn't help try someone else. Persistence can pay off, sometimes you have to ask the same person something more then once. They might need some convincing that you really are interested. You'll learn more about your approach if you pay attention to what you do and how people react. My father always said, "The worst they can say is no and your not any worse off then before you asked."

Wudman

Talk to the established loggers and wood dealers in your area.  I would target small acreage tracts to get you started.  Some of the larger producers may have some leads on smaller tracts.  They may not be cost effective for their operation.  It may be jobs they have turned down.  I had a producer that was set up to cut these jobs.  He was running a pair of straight axle trucks and a Log Hog (Ford 4000 tractor with winch and front end loader).  All he cut was small jobs that others wouldn't deal with.  Most of the wood was given to him.  He did very well financially.  Make these contacts and get your foot in the door.  Don't discount housing lot jobs or small homesteads.  Take a look..they may be worth it.  Also, run an add in your local small town newspaper.  An add will generate some phone calls.  Most will be somebody looking for a freebie, but you can generate some business there as well.  The most difficult job in any business venture is marketing.  Cutting and delivering the wood is the easy part. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Corley5

What about going to school to be a forester ??? :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Quote from: Farmboy 96 on May 18, 2015, 11:24:18 AM
Hey since lots of you guys told me early that getting in contact with a local forester could help me a lot with lining up work for me i was wondering if a forester would really even be willing to help me. I mean when working in the the woods I do a good clean job and care greatly about my work but everyone says that and half of them are just full of BS so nobody really listens to that. Since I'm just 18 and looking for my first lot to cut would they even help me out?

What this sounds like is you are questioning or doubting yourself and your ability to do this work.
I'm thinking you should have more confidence in your plan to get out there and do what you want to do. Letting a Forester know that you are confident in your abilities and hope that he/she will be comfortable recommending you for a job they are aware of to get you started. But they will need to be comfortable with what you tell them.

So am suggesting you now need to "sell yourself", and believe in yourself. No "doubt" about it.

PS, and give Corley5's suggestion some thought, as it is a good one (IMO).

Best of luck to you..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MJD

Young has nothing to do with it, I have seen some really bad old loggers(just sayin). Get in good with your state/county forester, the guy I started with had jobs no one else would do, they were not big money makers but paid the bills and got my foot in the door. If you do a good job for them you will stay busy. Good Luck.

Farmboy 96

thank you all for helping

Thank You Sponsors!