iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to this

Started by Arcticmiller, August 12, 2019, 12:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcticmiller

Hey Folks, a new member from remote (bush) Alaska here. I just acquired a portable mill, I have been wanting one since I was a kid, so I am tickled pink to have it finally work out.

I think the unit is home-made, but it is well made. I will post pics soon. Its powered by a 16 horse Briggs Vanguard, double V-belt driven, has a a tensioner roller system that I suspect should be upgraded to a cooks as it's about worn out, and fairly difficult to adjust.

I am just learning, but enjoying the journey. Thanks to all who contribute here, I am learning a lot!

RAYAR

Welcome aboard Arcticmiller, this is the place to be.

Home fabbed mills can be better than some of the lower end consumer mills. Enjoy it and make sawdust.

Ray
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

thecfarm

Articmiller,welcome to the forum. You will like sawing!!
What's the plan for the lumber?
You will need a Logrite cant dog or peavey to turn the logs. Sponsor on the left.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Welcome!  Looks like you've learned to post pics already, which is an accomplishment as it's different here than most forums. Congrats on the mill!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 12, 2019, 08:24:33 AMLooks like you've learned to post pics already, which is an accomplishment as it's different here than most forums.

::) This aint most forums.

Welcome Arcticmiller!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Arcticmiller

Quote from: thecfarm on August 12, 2019, 04:54:45 AM
Articmiller,welcome to the forum. You will like sawing!!
What's the plan for the lumber?
You will ned a Logrite cant dog or peavey to turn the logs. Sponsor on the left.
Thanks, I am enjoying it already! I have been looking into those the past couple days. Just doing things by hand til the orders come in, cause I am impatient. Lots of plans, playhouse for the kids, picnic table, a sauna, a small smokehouse for meats, outhouses and possibly a cabin in the works...20 years worth of ideas stacked up ya know.

btulloh

All that sounds normal. Welcome. 
HM126

K-Guy

Quote from: Jeff on August 12, 2019, 08:27:33 AM
Quote from: Brad_bb on August 12, 2019, 08:24:33 AMLooks like you've learned to post pics already, which is an accomplishment as it's different here than most forums.

::) This aint most forums.

Welcome Arcticmiller!
The others have a prettier host smiley_monkeyfight ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Arcticmiller!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Arcticmiller.  Enjoy your sawmill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crossroads

Welcome to the forum 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Arcticmiller

Thanks folks for the warm welcome. I got my cooks rollers installed. They work beautifully. I also thanks to the info on this forum did a full alignment of my mill, and it was cutting incredibly, right up to the point I lost an idler pillow block bearing. No real surprise there...it has sat in the weather for 15 years or so, and was just slightly gritty sounding. 

I figured it would give out, but since the blocks are offshore stuff, and I am 2 weeks from everywhere, I thought I would see how much I could make before having to replace it.... I have a full set of new browning vps-223 bearings on the way, but made some 1x12 live front edge slabs for shelving for the wife. 12' long and the cuts are square and true. Nine of the dreaded spruce waves at the knots. All my trees here are white spruce so far. Some birch around, but I havent got into that yet. 

I greatly appreciate the wealth of information and experience on the forum. Will post some pics soon.

slider

Welcome Articmiller. Looks like you are moving right along. The search button is your friend.Lots of info on cutting spruce.
al glenn

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

prittgers

Hello, Friend!

Congratulations on getting into sawmilling.  I stock blades and parts in Anchorage.  If I can help you, just give me a call.  907.336.5143 or stop by when you come through town!

Enjoy your new hobby!

Parker

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Thank You Sponsors!