Started by mrector, July 03, 2013, 08:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrector

Hello my name is Mikey.
A friend told me about this place when  I delivered some large black
walnut logs to him(loves sawdust).  The logs were too big for my
Homemade bandmill. I designed my mill to be able to cut around 40"
diameter logs with 38" cutting throat. Was a flawed design and I have
Reconfigured it to cut max of around 28" dia with 24" throat.

Anyways just thought if say hello and thanks for all the wonderful insight
here. I have been browsing for a while and im on around page 160 or so of
older posts in the milling category.

Thanks, Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mikey.

As you've found out, this is a great place to hang out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mrector

Thanks!

I would also like to add proof that I am not a robot by posting a pic of a blow down
elm tree I cut up. Guy was cutting it up for firewood and he explained to me that it
was black walnut, to which I replied it was american elm and you danG near cannot split
the stuff..

Ok heres a pic attempt

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=139108
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

fishpharmer

Mikey, welcome to FF!

You accomplished the hard part of posting pics, getting them in the gallery.  Go back to your gallery, click on pic, look below it, cut and paste the code (in box) into your post it will show.

Post pics of mill when you can.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Gasawyer

Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

slider

al glenn

Migal

:) Welcome to the FF Mikey  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

dboyt

Mikey, welcome to the forum!  And my hard hat is off to you for having the fortitude (and whatever else one needs) to build a mill.  You are right about elm being tough to split, but I've got my doubts about that picture being elm... sure looks like some very nicely figured black walnut to me.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Andy White

Mikey
Welcome to the Forum. If you can't find it here, you don't need it. All kinds of information and ideas to help in any sawmilling
problems. We like pictures of logs and mills.  Good Luck, and be safe.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Mikey....we're glad to have you buddy.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump and sit awhile.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

samandothers

Welcome to the FF!   It is a great place to learn and share.

mrector

I appreciate the warm welcome!

I will get some more pictures loaded in my gallery and make a couple new threads about
my mill and some of my "based on necessity" inventions.

Mikey
Homemade logging arch

wesdor

Welcome to the Forum. I think you are correct when you say this is one of the best places on the Internet. Lots of friendly and very knowledgeable folks.

thecfarm

I really like this place too. welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Quote from: mrector on July 03, 2013, 09:25:50 PM
I will get some more pictures loaded in my gallery and make a couple new threads about
my mill and some of my "based on necessity" inventions.
We always like to check out "new inventions" created by others in the FF Family. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

GDinMaine

We always like to check out "new inventions" created by others in the FF Family. :)
[/quote]
I agree with CLWW!

Welcome and I must say I really like this place too.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Po-Jo

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Red Good

I think I have been reading for 6 hours ! And tons more to read . Good site with lots of info and good respectful rapport between older members . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Magicman

Hello Red Good, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Hi Red Good, and welcome to our world. :)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Welcome Red Good. Start a post and tell us about yourself.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Red Good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!