iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know this bird?

Started by scgargoyle, October 13, 2012, 04:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

I've been listening to on-line bird calls, but I can't find the one I've been hearing. The best I can describe it is 'grrrrrACK'. I'm in a southeastern hardwood forest, and it sounds like a fairly large bird. Every time I try to find him, he shuts up. He just started up in the last couple weeks, calling a few times every morning. Any ideas?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Woodchuck53

So you haven't seen it, just heard it? May be what they call a Grackle below the I-10 Mason Dixon line here in Louisiana. Not sure of the normal name but that's what the web footed people down here say. About as big as a crow maybe a little dustier in color and looks like it always needs a good grooming. May be it.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Magicman

We have a huge crane, blue/grey in color and probably stands 3' tall.  When it is flying, every so often it lets out a single squawk like you mentioned.  It may then fly ¼ mile or so before it squawks again.

I kept trying to find out what was making that racket and then it squawked overhead one time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Throw some Grits on the ground. This may bring him in a little closer.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Poston   Someone maybe did that, and that is why it is making that noise (choking sound).... ::) ::)

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on October 13, 2012, 08:45:32 PM
Poston   Someone maybe did that, and that is why it is making that noise (choking sound).... ::) ::)

:D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Yup, I called it a crane, but I guess it is a Blue Heron.  If that is what is causing your noise you can not find it because it is gone.  Just flapping along and squawking.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

SwampDonkey

Yup could be a heron. They are probably in migration from the north now.

Another bird sound people find odd is from the American bittern. But it's a different sound than you describe. I listen for them every spring.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Holmes

Blue Herons do sound prehistoric...
Think like a farmer.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Ravens to, they are imitaters and make all kinds of odd sounds. Sometimes they will screech, which is weird. They do this around a meal, must be inviting others to eat. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

I'm familiar with blue herons; that's not it. Whatever it is, it sits still and calls several times, up in the trees. Whenever I walk in the direction of the sound, it stops, and I can't see anything. You'd think I could find it; the sound comes from the same area every day. The 'grrrr' part is a rolling trill, but deeper and heavier than a typical tweety bird. My contractor, who lives in the area and is outside every day, says he never heard it before. Maybe somebody's pet parrot got loose? Gonna be a tough winter for him......
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

thecfarm

cranes don't eat g...s. Crane is my last name. My Father would see them and tell me that was my half brother. I carried on the tradition too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pesaventoc

EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

Madtowner

Possibly an green heron. Freaky looking and strange sound.
From Madawaska Maine and now living in Mass.
John Deere 5420,
WM LT 15.

CHARLIE

I was thinking the same thing as pesaventoc.  A pileated woodpecker.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

I am with Charlie, although I can't comment on the sound described, but the behaviour smacks of the pileated.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yes, I would have to agree. They can be as cagey as their cousins, the sap sucker.

Claybraker

A little outside the known range, but velociraptors sound prehistoric.

http://www.velociraptors.info/

drobertson

I was thinking woodpecker too, heard a similar sound yesterday, I was coming out of the timber, windy, heard it twice, I stopped and noted it came from an area that has two dead standing oaks,  I just thought woodpecker but it was a different sound for sure, I have heard the herins' they definetly have that jurasic sound,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

easymoney

i believe it is a do-do bird. they are hard to see since they hide in the leaves on the ground.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: drobertson on October 15, 2012, 08:17:06 AM
I have heard the herons' they definitely have that Jurassic sound,

Do we know what Jurassic animals sounded like? I think the term defines the forms of life, not their voice.  Too many movies. ;)

thecfarm

Those pileated woodpeckers have been here for years on my land,but I've only seen 1 or 2 in all the time I've been here.
I've seen this on some of the trees,but don't see the one doing the damage much.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!