iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need some advice

Started by timberjack97, May 28, 2012, 09:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack97

i bought a timbco feller buncher  i need to know the going rate for an opertor to run it for  me  my worker says he wants 100 a load to fell the pulp wood and 150 a load to  fell the saw timber  i think  thats to much to pay him any thoughts on this?

Clam77

Not working in the timber that seems alot to me - but I'm not familiar with what you'd get paid doing those jobs.  I'm assuming he could get atleast 10 loads out in a day... that's an easy $1000-$1500 a day. 

Not very many working-man's jobs make that much.. 

I'd say your best bet would be to act like you're him and call around to some other companies and ask around for wages..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Tramp Bushler

There are alot of variables . How big is a load ? Cord or thousand board feet ? How many loads can he and the machine cut per day ? . . How many hours a day ?
Quality help costs quality pay .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Gary_C

Unless he has some ownership in the machine, he should be working by the hour. That's the only way for you to control his output.

Suppose he found he could make enough money by just working a few hours a day? You would have no leverage to keep production going all day. Might be good for him, but not you.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

timberjack97

what would i good rate to pay him by the be thank you?

Jamie_C

it seems you have asked this same question in a bunch of different threads now but here goes anyway .... up here a feller buncher gets about $6/tonne to put wood on the ground and should cut about 200 tonne per day  ... that works out to about $5.45/ton  and 220 tons when converted ... you say your operator wants between $100 & $150 per 25 ton load just to run the machine, now if he gets the same production that a feller buncher up here does then your machine would gross about $1200/ day (about 9 loads) and your operator would get about $1000 per day to run the machine .... those numbers are insane to say the least ... pay your guy either about $1.00/ton or about $20/hr

you really need to figure out the going rate that a feller buncher gets in your area, figure out your costs of operating it (fuel, oil, hoses, track wear, etc, etc) and then see what you can pay your man .... the numbers will probably scare you

John Mc

Quote from: Gary_C on May 30, 2012, 03:41:43 PM
Unless he has some ownership in the machine, he should be working by the hour. That's the only way for you to control his output.

Suppose he found he could make enough money by just working a few hours a day? You would have no leverage to keep production going all day. Might be good for him, but not you.

The flip side of that is that if he's paid by the hour, he has no incentive to work quickly and efficiently.

Different methods of paying provide incentives for different behavior.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jamie_C

Quote from: John Mc on May 30, 2012, 09:37:45 PM
Quote from: Gary_C on May 30, 2012, 03:41:43 PM

The flip side of that is that if he's paid by the hour, he has no incentive to work quickly and efficiently.

Different methods of paying provide incentives for different behavior.

Paying operators by production except in very rare circumstances leads to abuse and or neglect of the machine all in the name of getting the most production and the biggest paycheque. It was tried by numerous contractors that i know and they all went back to paying by the hour just so the machines wouldn't be neglected.

It is a far better idea if you can work in a bonus system that factors in a combination of machine availability, productive hours & actual production.

I have spent a lot of years both operating and supervising harvesting equipment and have seen the good and bad sides of most every payment arrangement you could ever dream of.

timberjack97

i was thinking paying him 30 and hour  does that sound ok ?

Jamie_C

Quote from: timberjack97 on May 31, 2012, 07:25:51 AM
i was thinking paying him 30 and hour  does that sound ok ?

For $30/hour i will close down my business, get my green card and move down to run it myself. Here in the maritime provinces of canada the average pay for people running harvesters/processors or feller bunchers is in the $17.00/hr range with transportation supplied by the employer.

bill m

Is this person an employee or a subcontractor and how much are you paying him now? $30 per hour sounds to high. Most heavy equipment operators are getting about $15 to $20 per hour in this area.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

lumberjack48

If hes a experienced operator, i would pay $16. an hour and if hes on time, works everyday in a pay period, i'd give him a $4. hr. bonus. This is you furnishing everything.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Corley5

I pay my forwarder operator 12 bucks an hour.  He's happy so am I  ;D 8) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logger t

we pay ours 12.50 an hour plus a production bonus at the end of the month
loggert

Thank You Sponsors!