iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band wheels for build it yourself

Started by Grappletractor, February 02, 2006, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grappletractor

Would something like these things apt to be ok for for a portable mill. These are 36", maybe too big ? , prehaps 30" or under would be ok ?

http://www.irsauctions.com/auctions/00008624/bigpicts/36639D.jpg

Grappletractor

Frank_Pender

I would use the bandsaw for a resaw setup, before I used it for a mill application.  I am sure you could find some wheels the size you are seeking by contacting Gary at Linn Mills in Lebanon, Oregon.
Frank Pender

Larry

Looks like an old Crescent...that one is direct drive.  Most are belt driven and the old timers are babbit bearings.  I've seen em sell for $50...just be prepared for a project turning them into a sawmill.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Grappletractor

Larry

Well...not to big but quite expensive.

Iffen I remember right maybe 30" wheels...won't tell ya what I bought it for but think I sold it round $200.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Grappletractor

Actually these E-Bay wheels are a big bargain, check out Lin or Cook's prices  :D

isassi

I have seent he ones on E-bay listed before at different prices. When I get around to actually building a mill, I wouldn't hesitate to use that size. The idea of band lenght being standard wouldn't apply since the wheels are so large, but a longer band has more teeth, hence should get more cutting from it, but cost more to sharpen.  :D

HOGFARMER

A lot of homebuilt mills and factory built  (Turner MIlls) use trailer or automobile tires for band wheels.  I talked with a local manufacture of bandmill blades and they advised that this is a viable way to go.  I am in the process of building a mill myself that will use trailer tires as bandwheels.
Several members here have used them with good results.
Manual LT-30

beav

I think I would look into using motorcycle wheels.I look at my '83 Goldwing and I see alloy wheels (nice if youy break a blade-less rotatoinal mass), a shaft drive system,etc. Just my $.02 worth ???

Dangerous_Dan

If anyones interested I have 4 cast iron band wheels/pulleys that I will not be using now that I am building a swingmill.
They are 36 inch diameter 3 groove with QD style taperlock bushings, I might have a couple bushings too.
If interested let me know. I will sell cheap. ;D
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Slabs

What about using heavy v-belt sheaves with domed-top belts like Wood Miser?  The sheaves are available in just about any size you might want.  24 inches might be a little more manageable.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

mike_van

I used 24" Browning Poly V sheaves on mine, I haven't had a blade break in years. I always heard bigger was better, less stress on the band backer being bent to the radius.  Just a thought here on those big wheels -  Two 36" dia wheels plus space around them, 36" at least for a throat on the mill, you will have a head 10 foot wide,  maybe more - for whatever issues that brings up - will it be portable? will the frame support the engine at that width? Just some thoughts. :-\
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!