iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First ever ambulance ride and first air bag to the chest.

Started by gspren, September 18, 2021, 05:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Yesterday afternoon a car blew through a stop sign in front of me and I T-boned him at 30-35 mph, the crash was more violent than I would have thought for that speed. The airbag smacked my chest and in the first moments I thought my chest was crushed so I dug my phone out of my pocket and called 911, I probably sounded like I was dying but settled down in a couple minutes. Later on the way to the hospital the chest pain eased a bit but my right knee started to swell and got very painful. X-rays show nothing broke but I feel like I lost a fight, chest still hurts a little all the time and a lot if I yawn or take a deep breath. All emergency personnel, hospital docs and nurses were wonderful and even the cop was nice!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Roxie

My experience has been that what pained me the most at the time of the incident, turned out to be the least of my problems 24 hours later. 

Glad you got help and thankful you're okay. 
Say when

Old Greenhorn

Glad you are OK. Air bags and seat belts do work. Stop signs...not so much. I stopped trusting the latter when I started driving emergency vehicles. Lights and sirens make people do weird things like stopping in the middle of the road right in front of you 'to let you go by' or speeding up to get through an intersection before you, or tailgating you to get through traffic faster and some really dangerous stuff beyond that. Never trusted a stop sign to stop cross traffic, or red lights either. Ever since those days I have always read the traffic as far ahead as I could see and always looked for, and created escape paths for the vehicle I was driving. Easy to say, not always easy to do.
 On the other side I cut and dug a lot of folks out of wrecked cars. Seat belts and air bags meant we had something we could work with. Lacking those it was often a different story. I'll leave it at that because writing this just brought up a bad one in my mind that took me 5 years to get processed through my head.
 I am just glad you are OK and on the mend. The pains will take time to subside. Get a follow up in about a week to make sure there were no residual effects. The shock trauma to your musculo-skeletal system is a protective reaction and when it subsides new things can pop up. Sometimes things get missed on the first go-round because of that.
 Heal up.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

dgdrls

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

Man, don't let that happen again, you have too much work to do and people waiting for you. There are sirens everyday here, mostly car wrecks caused by using phones and being distracted and inconsiderate people.  Glad you are ok, Doug

mike_belben

Plan on taking it easy for two weeks, adrenaline can thankfully mask an incredible amount of damage to help you survive.  Once upon a time i got jumped and pounded on for quite a while by a much bigger fellow without feeling a thing.  I bit the hell out of dudes thigh to get loose and landed one on his face and it was over.  I walked away just fine with no pain, just dark vision.

20 minutes later i can hardly breath and felt like i was truly being skewered with a pipe in the neck and out the opposite side rib cage.  Burning all over and can barely move.  I couldnt laugh or god forbid sneeze for about 2 weeks without intense pain from all those kicks that i never felt at all.  In the moment i could barely tell what was going on the first few seconds since i never saw it coming.   got punched in the face over and over and didnt feel any of them. I just saw flashes that didnt hurt. 
Praise The Lord

Tom King

Corley5

Glad you're OK.  I hope the other vehicle's occupants are OK as well.  I've been in two similar but less violent incidents in the last year.  I had a car turn in front of me into a private drive.  I saw what was going to happen and got on the brakes but still hit her.  It's on a hill and I didn't dare swerve into the oncoming lane and the shoulder and ditches were iced and full of snow.  I firmly believe that the anti-lock brakes were a detriment in this incident.  I was on the brakes and the truck wasn't slowing as fast I feel it should have.  The asphalt was clean and dry.  $3,500 damage to a 2020 Ram was the result.  No air bags were deployed.  I got it slowed up that much.  The Honda SUV thing that turned in front of me wasn't as lucky but the driver was fine.  Back in July I had a similar incident.  A SXS was in front of me on a gravel side road.  She slowed down and moved over to the shoulder.  I pulled out to go around and she turned directly in front of me to take a two track across the road.  I hit her.  Once again I think the anti-lock brakes kept me from getting the truck stopped.  I wasn't going that fast and stood on the pedal...  No one was hurt, the SXS fled the scene, and the very same repairs had to be made to the truck...  Glad you're OK.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Old saw fixer

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

firefighter ontheside

I'm glad you're ok and that it wasn't worse.  A lot of people complain of chest pain from airbags, especially at relatively slow speeds.  That's why they're not supposed to deploy at slow speeds.  At slow speeds the bag will do more harm than good.  As with Tom, I've seen so many bad wrecks.  You can never tell when a wreck will produce bad injuries.  I've seen cars roll many times and have severe damage and the occupants walk away without a scratch and I've seen relatively minor damage lead to severe injuries.  I've ridden and driven ambulances hundreds of times, but never as a patient.  I hope I never do.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

I can tell you being the patient is not as entertaining as sitting in one of the seats!

gspren

Thanks for the well wishes! At first the chest pain was both intense and scary when you think it may be serious, after the docs said it's bruising with no breaks and my heart seemed ok I felt much better, it's easier to deal with pain if it isn't scary. Something this crowd can relate to is I was wearing high top red wing hunting boots so when they had me in a "gown" to demonstrate I could walk I only had my boots to wear, a hairy old man in a hospital gown and boots.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

GAB

Quote from: gspren on September 18, 2021, 07:06:09 PM
 to demonstrate I could walk I only had my boots to wear, a hairy old man in a hospital gown and boots.
I hope that does not become a new fashion trend.  It does not conjure up a nice or positive picture in my mind.
Hope you get better quickly.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bradm

Like the others, glad to hear you're doing well.  Any idea how things turned out for the other car?

@Corley5
I've never found ABS to be a good thing on anything slicker than a mildly damp road.  Also, if you're sliding on ice and all 4 wheels are locking up and you keep sliding, put it in neutral if you're vehicle is an automatic - it will remove all drive power from the wheels and allow you some steering control.

Bradm

Quote from: GAB on September 18, 2021, 08:03:58 PM
to demonstrate I could walk I only had my boots to wear, a hairy old man in a hospital gown and boots.
I hope that does not become a new fashion trend.  It does not conjure up a nice or positive picture in my mind.
Hope you get better quickly.
GAB
Halloween is coming up.  Anyone need to instill terror into someone?

Old Greenhorn

Thanks for the well wishes! At first the chest pain was both intense and scary when you think it may be serious, after the docs said it's bruising with no breaks and my heart seemed ok I felt much better, it's easier to deal with pain if it isn't scary. Something this crowd can relate to is I was wearing high top red wing hunting boots so when they had me in a "gown" to demonstrate I could walk I only had my boots to wear, a hairy old man in a hospital gown and boots.
I gotta laugh at the visual. If you were like Magicman, you would have posted a photo. So I thank you for your choice. :D
 Seriously though, you didn't say how you are feeling the day after. I hope things are calming down for you and nothing new has popped up.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on September 18, 2021, 05:55:15 PM
I can tell you being the patient is not as entertaining as sitting in one of the seats!
Well for the most part that is true, but I have had a few patients in the rig that had nothing better to do, so they told jokes or worked their sarcasm on the crew tending them. Some were pretty funny. But, for sure, that was rare. 
 I'll never forget one frail elderly lady we were doing a transport for (nursing home to hospital). I had done everything I needed to do and my charts were updated. I asked if there was anything I could do to make her more comfortable. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes, because she was just scared of what was happening to her, she just said "If you wouldn't mind holding my hand, that would really make me feel better". Broke my heart more than any other patient I had, so of course, that's what I did.

firefighter ontheside

Tom, I've been a firefighter 29 years and an EMT about 27 of those.  Of all the things I've done and been involved in, it seems like the most impact I ever had was holding the hand of a patient who had been involved in a vehicle accident.  Her other hand and wrist were injured pretty badly.  We talked as I stood there holding her hand.  As it turned out she was a paramedic and dispatcher.  We are friends to this day and she talks as if I saved her life.  All I did for her was hold her hand until they transported her to the hospital.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

Al I know is that my one journey by ambulance the gurney is 2 inches narrower than my derierre.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

Glad you are OK. 

It does say something about modern vehicle safety that you can walk (or at least limp) away from a 30+ mph crash. The vehicle will be a write off as the crumple zone folded up as designed, but the seat belts, airbags and survival zone worked as intended. 

I've had some close calls in my little Toyota, like some numpty turning across in front of me doing 30mph while doing the school run a couple of weeks back. ABS activated to stop, and pulled up a couple of feet from their rear corner panel as they crossed in front. Radar collision detection had activated, and automatically pre-tensioned the seat belts, so the computer was fully expecting a crash. If I'd been snoozing or adjusting the radio it would have been a 30 mph crash, with airbags and a written off car. 

So I do appreciate all the magic that goes into making cars safer. You have to be Really unlucky to be killed in a 30mph crash in a modern car. 

And yes airbags work via a small controlled explosion. They aren't a gentle fluffy cushion. They have to magically appear in front of you in a spit second, to give something slightly softer than the steering wheel or windscreen to impact with. But if you limp away with a black eye and bruised ribs, it's generally better than the other options. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!