iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which: Stihl MS250, MS260, Husky 346XP

Started by logbutcher, January 08, 2004, 07:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrb34

Well, I learned to keep a chain sharp back in my SP80 days, and I'm way too lazy to do anything other than let the saw do all the work. And it of course makes sense that the faster the chain travels through the wood, the faster it cuts. These I consider everyday good operating practice, the same as avoiding pinching the bar or slicing off your leg.

So given everyday good operating practice--sharp chain, depth guages right, revs pegged, let the saw do the work and don't force it to hurry things up and thus slow things down--does the choice between a 346xp and an MS260 come down to a Ford/Chevy thing? Or to find a more accurate analogy, perhaps an Audi and a hot Saab? i.e., similar performance, similar longevity, one requiring slighly more attention to keeping the revs up or it quickly loses power? (another analogy: a 318 Detroit versus a 300 Cummins.)
JRB

jokers

jrb34,

You`ve got the idea that I`m trying to convey. The difference between the 260 and the 346 is slight and can go either way in the real world.

If you ever want to modify the saw the game changes a little. The 346 seems to have substantially more potential for mods and increased power.

Russ

jrb34

Jokers--

As you own both 026/260s and a 346xp, how would you compare the anti-vibe and overall comfort level? With my leftover white-finger combined with brand-new arthritis, I want to do everything I can to ensure my hands last as long as the saw.

What about heated handles? I haven't found either saw listed for sale with heated handles in the U.S., though they're both available that way in Europe, apparently.

Thanks
JRB

jokers

Hi jrb,

The 346 feels slightly smoother in the cut than an 026/260, but it`s not huge. Keep the rakers filed to a reasonable height, ie; not too low, and it shouldn`t be a problem.

The Artic and xpG models are available in Canada if you can`t find one hanging around here in the US. I know people that could probably hook you up if needed. I personally don`t need the heat yet but maybe I would be wise to use it just the same.

Russ

Bobcat_pa

I have both the 260pro & 346xpg saws.   The 260pro is smooth and does has low vibs, but my 346xpg has even less felt vibs.   I also have a Husky 353 (similar to the 346) and it also has less vibs.  I think Husky just has a little better anti-vib system than Stihl.  I bought my 346xpg (heated handles) from Commerical Cutters Direct  ( http://www.commercialcutters.com/ ) . The local Husky dealers are what I call "off the self" and not interested in taking time to special order something for the customer.   CCD was very good to work with, and had a "what can I do for you'" attitude.    Another little point is that the local Husky dealers either did not have any Husky tools, or they are priced 2 & 3 times the price.  CCD has them & priced reasonable.                 Bob

Oregon_Rob

I need a tool that works under all conditions, including the user. (Opening for the joker to put in.)
Seriously, what is the "competency" or expertise that a user needs for the 346XP ? Be specific. Curious minds............
 ;D

My Husky 372 seems to fit the bill you described. Always starts and runs strong, don't see the 346 being any different.
I think you are thinking too hard. Just buy which ever you feel best about and then don't look back, just enjoy the tool and learn how to get the most out of it. Sometimes we think ourselves to death. I know this won't go over well with everyone, but I think some make too much out of dealer support. You buy a pro saw and learn to do the basics and you shouldn't be at the dealer very often. I'm no mechanic, but i have learned to do the basics like:
bar and chain care
replacing recoil rope
removal and clean up of the recoil spring
modifing a muffler and tweaking the carb

Where I draw the line at the moment is carb rebuilds, but that is my next thing to learn.

So hear I am, 2 years or so, with a used 372 and I have never taken it in, didn't need to. I do use the saw every chance i get, which is maybe 5-10 hours a month, including some milling.

Sorry, didn't mean to be this long winded.
Chainsaw Nerd

redpowerd

russ,
what does the pro have that the standard 026 does not? is it just the decomp?
thanks
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

CWS

rp,

The pro also has an adujstable oiler, and elastostart. I probably misssed something that Russ will add. ;D

jokers

Hi redpowerd,

The Pro also has the Intellicarb to compensate for a dirty air filter. The premise is understandable but I think it possibly allows a person to use the saw at a diminished capacity without realizing how bad it`s gotten, if that makes any sense? The effect of a dirty filter is less pronounced as the Intellicarb leans out the fuel as the incoming air is lessened, so the decrease in performance would be less than a saw with an overly rich fuel/air ratio, but ultimately, less fuel in means less power out. The Intellicarbs on the 026/260 of the past few years also had a non-adjustable hi speed jet which is a big minus if you live in an area of extreme seasonal temperature changes. I`ve never seemed to have the right orifice installed for the conditions although a few people claim no problems. I`ve swapped all my fixed jets to 3 screw carbs. The newest 260 Pros are supposed to have 3 screw carbs from the factory.

logbutcher

So let's sum up for the MS260 and 346XP choice. For the money, for a stock tool. For a user that cuts an average of a full day a week all year including TSI and firewood. For a user who knows how to keep a chain sharp, uses correct PPE, and can do the basic maintenance. Wanting a tool that gos without fuss.
Which one ? Thx...

jokers

346xp. I just ordered another from DozerDan Henry.  ;D They are a sweet saw.

Russ

SasquatchMan

Ya know, I hear those Makitas are pretty good. :D :D :D
Senior Member?  That's funny.

logbutcher

How about stock ? Need to get from A to B for a long, long time. Read : "durability".
After learning about all the mods to saws (used to race trailbikes- mod engines do wear faster and get pushed beyond their mfr specs), some of us just want a tool to do a job day after day in all conditions, w all kinds of 'skill' levels.
And the added cost ? Some don't want to race saws.
Yes, "run cooler", run "more efficiently," higher HP @ lower RPM's.  But there are no stats on durability on modded chainsaws...yet.
So let's talk stock. Out of the box. That's what some want and need.
Looks like a tie between the 260 and 346Xp. 260 w more 'power', more user "flexibility". Does the 346XP have 10+ year consumer experience like the 026/260 ?
How long have 346XP users used the un-modified tool ?  
Hey, I'm not sleeping w my saw......yet.  8)

Oregon_Rob

You are going to think yourself into a coma. Pick one and go with it, learn to use it. Don't worry, be happy! Oh yeah when you pick one, don't look back, just meld with it and make it an extension of yourself! Become one with the saw and you will find true and everlasting saw happiness. 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

logbutcher

8)
OMMMMMMMMM.............................

slowzuki

Logbutcher, find dealers that will let you try the saw out back then, "Do what your heart says" :D  One of the two saws will talk to you a little nicer when you're using it!  The 260 seemed to like me best, I haven't been dissapointed!

You won't be dissapointed either way me thinks.
Ken

logbutcher

Thanks to you all for advice on choice.  :-*
Even thanks for the analysis of the analysis on choice.  :o
We who are not pros, use a chainsaw as part of our kit of woodlot and home tools are isolated. So, speaking w those who use a tool full-time, basing their tool choice on hard experience is invaluable. Both in the real world, and here online.Some of us have even gone thru pro training to gain some pro abilities and PPE techniques. When you think you know it all, stop, learn, listen. It works in the military, in business, in sports.
Update:
The "out-of-control 028" is now tamed and will stay w the stable for now. Negative pressure to buy new even tho I asked .A super local dealer here in Maine, a kind of local "stihltech" , fixed the beast and calmed the logbutcher from buying new. For the techs among you, here's the bill of materials for the repair:
1. new plug
2.flexible fuel line
3.manifold (used)
4.handle (used)
5."buffer" (used)
The air leaks were in the fuel hose and AV buffers in the handle. The user  :-[ had dropped a tree on the 028 a few months ago (full disclosure). The charge included an hour of labor and cannibalizing an old 028. 8)  Should serve this old broken body for awhile.....THEN the MS260!!!!
This dealer @ Viking, in Belfast, Maine is Mike Murphy. Beyond the call.......HOO RAH Mike .

jokers

That sounds good logbutcher, spend some quality time appreciating that 028. I was going to suggest that you find your best local dealer and see what feels best in your hands, but it sounds like you`ve already got the dealer and you can`t go wrong with the ms260.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!