iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill problems

Started by Steam Bill, August 16, 2020, 04:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Bill

Am running an enterprise model21 with a 44 inch blade at 600 rpm . Was milling white oak into 1 1/2 inch planks and it was cutting ok . Loaded on a 12 inch American hickory and the saw started to heat in the center. The feed stalled and wanted to run back toward me.i have some areas to check but would appreciate any suggestions

btulloh

Send the hickory log to the firewood pile and then saw some more oak. 
HM126

Steam Bill

Really? Is this trash wood? I never got a pice of this before and was curious. 

btulloh

Not trash. Just mean. Could be tension in the log pinching the blade. I'd just try another oak or something before i blamed the saw. On the FF, hickory is known as devil wood.  smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil
HM126

Ron Wenrich

First thing to check is how sharp is your saw.  When I sawed hickory, I had to sharpen a lot more often than on most species.  It does produce finer sawdust.  Part of that comes from hardness and saw speed.  

If your saw is heating up, it may be due to your board side saw guide being a little too far out.  I always ran mine a bit tighter on that side.  If your saw runs out a bit, that will open up your saw face, and the saw will heat up.  

Saw shanks are important especially if you have fine sawdust.  If they're worn, the dust will dribble out the sides and down the saw. You can sharpen them up.  If they're really worn, then you ought to replace them, and have the saw hammered.  

Feed rate is rather important.  You can force your saw by feeding too fast.  It will cut off line if any of the above are a problem.  If your saw is dying in the cut, you're feeding too fast for your equipment.

Hickory is a tough wood to saw, but it's not impossible.  I used to saw it by the trailer load.  Green logs are better, but I used to saw logs that were aged.  I never considered it "devil wood", merely more of a challenge.  I had ways to make my saw run with the wood I was cutting.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Steam Bill

Thanks guys. I will check this out.  This being a 90 year old mill always makes me overthink and it's good to have opinions from others looking outside in

esteadle

I agree with Ron. Check the blade. Make sure there are still teeth on it.  :D

Hickory is hard as stone, especially if it sits for a while and dries out on the ends. 

dgdrls

Sharp, sharp, sharp. Also agree with Ron.

Forcing the feed to where the blade slows too much can heat the center of the blade.

What pattern is the blade?

D

moodnacreek

I remember when I first started and had hickory to saw. Did not have good dogs. Would slab and take one board and turn 180 and take another slab and board. The hickory would spring so bad that was to only way I could saw it.             You need perfect teeth and power and good dogs.

Thank You Sponsors!