iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best log splitter for small farm work?

Started by Cowgirl in boots, September 03, 2015, 01:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 12, 2015, 05:26:58 PM
Today the only way I would go is with a flywheel splitter...
Small engine and very fast...
Not me I like my fingers still on my hand not on the ground
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

IndianaJoe

I bought a 30 ton black diamond with a 6.5 H.P. kohler, and a two stage pump from rural king. When I hit a tough knot the second stage on the pump kicks in and drives right through it. For $1300  I think it was a great deal. I would not go with anything smaller.

Ox

After using hydraulic splitters and splitting hundreds of face cords of firewood in my life by hand and seeing the flywheel and rack and pinion splitters, I would go with the flywheel and rack splitter.  Using inertia and spinning mass is always more efficient.  I wouldn't be holding down any firewood when it's splitting though.  I like all ten of my fingers, too.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

LeeB

I don't know how much fire wood you use, but it's cheap in Arkansas. You can buy many a load for the price of the splitter if it's not something you will use all the time. If you heat with wood it might be a worthwhile purchase. If you only burn a few sticks in the fire place you might consider just having it delivered. The firewood boys will be happy to cut up your downed trees for the wood and you should be able to work a deal with one of them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

redprospector

I had one of the 22 ton $999.00 Huskee splitters from Tractor Supply a few years ago. I had nothing but trouble out of it. In my opinion the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
I sold it to my neighbor at about $150 loss just to get rid of it. After the 2nd year he owned it he's got it where it will work pretty good. He wound up putting a new engine, pump, and valve on it. But it does still have the original hydraulic cylinder, and hydraulic tank.  :D
Remember, you don't always get what you pay for. But you'll always pay for what you get.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Warped

Craigslist, love it! But there's two things I could never score a decent deal on, ice auger and a wood splitter. I bought the 27 ton Troy-Bilt with the Honda 6.5. Works great but sometimes wished it had a little more.
     My buddy bought the Cub Cadet....same exact thing, different paint, same as the Yardman. AYP makes a lot of these things and paints them to order, especially lawn tractors. My Husqvarna yt18542 and Craftsman lt1000 are identical (husq. has a drink holder and roller on front of mowing deck, $100 more though new).
     Also note, these box store units are not made for highway towing, they have plastic wheel bushings just like the lawn tractors. I have to load it on a snowmobile trailer for road travel (great excuse not to loan it out ;D)
     I feel it was worth the money, but I often just grab my Chopper one axe and got to town, like the face cord I did yesterday, wasn't worth uncovering the splitter and chasing gas from the garage. I can easily out split the Troy-Bilt........in the short run :D
     The splitter was $1,249, filled out the charge card app for 10% off, threw the card away.......
  TSC carries Huskee, not bad units, just feel I got more buck bang at SLowes.

One last thing, think I'd prefer the wedge not be on the ram rod, rather the splits drop in the front loader, and not land on the engine, which I built a box tube platform that also works good for staging logs while splitting.

I still do look at Timberwolfs, very tempting.

Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

47sawdust

I used a hydraulic splitter for 30 years ,3 years ago I bought a Supersplitter.I would not go back to hydraulic.My tractor loader is my log lifter for large pieces.I cut all my own logs,seldom anything over 20''.Go with the original if you buy ,the others are no comparison.
Yes they are fast and could be seen as dangerous but all machinery should be run with respect and a clear mind.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

John Mc

Quote from: Warped on September 14, 2015, 11:43:59 PM
... One last thing, think I'd prefer the wedge not be on the ram rod, rather the splits drop in the front loader, and not land on the engine, which I built a box tube platform that also works good for staging logs while splitting.

Every splitter I have seen that is convertible from horizontal to vertical has the wedge on the ram. If they didn't, they'd be trying to push the log into the ground when in vertical mode.

I agree, I'd rather have the wedge stationary and push the logs off the end. The split logs stay out of your way, and you have some interesting options for out feed: I've seem someone rig a plastic culvert split lengthwise to catch the split logs. As the next log gets split, it pushes the previous one along the  culvert - he had the other end of the culvert in the back of his pickup. With a little jockeying around, it was self-loading.

The one place where wedge on the ram is an advantage is when you need to re-split logs. They stay right there when re-split. You can just hold them, or add a cradle to catch them. A quick twist, and they are ready for the second split.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Warped

Very good points John. There's a guy on youtube who made a conveyor to his truck bed with an exercise jogging machine, but who would ever want to give up their jogging mill given how much they get used? Then I'd have to install a new clothes rack! :D

John Mc

Quote from: Warped on September 15, 2015, 10:12:52 AM
Very good points John. There's a guy on youtube who made a conveyor to his truck bed with an exercise jogging machine, but who would ever want to give up their jogging mill given how much they get used? Then I'd have to install a new clothes rack! :D

We call the collection of equipment in our basement "the Exercise Museum". We've got some great specimens - many in like new condition.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Warped

thecfarm

Kinda like tractors or chainsaws. Need a small one to do the light work and need a big one to do the heavy work. At this time I only have one wood splitter,but have 2 tractors and 2 chainsaws.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Mountaineer

I just bought a 22 ton County Line splitter from Home Depot.  They replaced the Husky line.  there was nothing wrong with the Husky line except the Briggs and Stratton motors.  And, I'm not sure how much of that was the motor since they seemed to be kept outside, uncovered while at the store.  Most all complaints I read about the husky line was the fact that water was/had gotten into the engine.  The new splitters are basically the same but, have a Kohler engine and at my store at least, aren't being assembled until they are purchased.  So, they have addressed the water issue evidently.

Mine starts well and has split everything I wanted upto 25-26 inch round white oak at half throttle.  So, it does well. , It splits vertically and horizontally both.  And cost $999.  It is no timberline but, it was half the cost.

I don't know if he has gotten one yet but, make sure the one he buys wasn't stored in the weather uncovered and, is not an electric type.  Eastern hardwoods and western conifers are two different things.  You need something besides electric power to reliably split what he is talking about.  Good luck and God Bless 
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

John Mc

Quote from: WV Mountaineer on September 15, 2015, 09:44:40 PM
I don't know if he has gotten one yet but, make sure the one he buys wasn't stored in the weather uncovered and, is not an electric type.  Eastern hardwoods and western conifers are two different things.  You need something besides electric power to reliably split what he is talking about.

I've had no trouble with the 16 ton electric splitter I own, and I'm splitting eastern hardwoods. The 20"+ stuff I split on it is a bit big for it, but it handles it OK. Generally, I'm splitting 16" and under anyway, and it handles that with no problem.

On the other hand, this is basically a 6HP gas hydraulic splitter that happens to have a 2HP electri motor instead of the gas engine (and yes, a 2HP electric will easily match a 6HP gas engine in this application). I got it because I didn't want another gas engine to maintain, and I figured I'd be doing all my splitting right near my garage. (As it turns out, I should have gotten a gas splitter, since I end up doing a lot of splitting out in the woods - which requires bringing along a generator).

Those 4 or 5 ton electric splitters that are driven by a ball screw are another story entirely. They may have their place: some people re-split wood to smaller sizes right in their house and I guess it's handy for that. They are not really suited as a primary splitter, IMO.

chester_tree _farmah

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 22 ton at TSC. It was even on sale for 950. Works great. I love it so far.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

mf40diesel

While it's not made in the States, my old man and I have been extremely happy with the Splitfire splitter that we have.  (Made in Canada) Ours is a 3pt hitch model, I can't recall the tonnage rating, but its a beast.  What I like about it, is that is splits in both directions, the knife/wedge, is attached to the ram and travels back and forth.  With one person running the lever and at least one other person feeding it with wood, you can really charge through a pile quickly.

Last I knew they had three variations,  3pt hich, so you need the tractor's hydraulics.... cheaper, and one less engine to maintain.  Then they offered two engine models, the cheaper Briggs and Stratton, and then the more expensive Honda.

Of course there are a few tonnage options too.  We have had ours for about 10 years and it is split many many cords of fire wood.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Bay Beagle

If You have a tractor with hydraulic remote, I'd look @ those. I'm not a fan of gasoline engines - down time plays hell on the gas and carburetor ..... I use a KELLY 3 point, welded a platform tray to catch the split woods - running for 20+ years. Big stuff, I just let it down to ground level, and roll the log on.  Splitfire makes a 3 point, that splits on forward and return strokes.  Both splitters are priced under $1200 US.
If You have a loader w/hydraulics (either to the plate, or remotes) is another option for tractor use

Hermio

After renting a number of gasoline engine powered splitters, I decided I did not like the heat, noise and fumes. So, I went out and bought a 20 ton Ramsplitter, which is powered by a 3 Hp electric motor. It obviously cannot go into the woods, as it requires 220 volt power. But since a 3 Hp electric motor delivers 6 Hp intermittently, it has plenty of power. So far, it has been able to split anything the 25 ton rental splitters can split. It has a more acute wedge geometry to allow this. It is much cooler, quieter and lower maintenance than gas models. I am glad I got it.

HiTech

My first wood splitter was a "Go Devil", it worked good once you got the hang of it. lol Then I made one, still have and use and then bought a 3 pt. hitch one...seldom use. In the meantime I bought a "Monster Maul" and still use that to some extent.

Woodhauler

I have a Iron/Oak 30 ton fast cycle splitter with the 4 way wedge, very good splitter ! I split 22 inch wood , some so big I use my log loader to set it on!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

SawDust75

I love my Swisher 28-Ton Vert/Horizontal splitter. Splits better than a gymnist!
Husqv 455 Rancher,Husqv 137
Gransfors Bruks Maul & Small Forest Axe
Regency Classic F2400 Medium Woodstove w/blower
Swisher 28-Ton Log Splitter
Kubota L5450 Loader
Suzuki King Quad 750 with homemade dump cart
Husqv 372XP will be in the arsenal Spring 2016!

tlbrooks

the  3 point hitch splitter from tsc is a decent splitter for the money. I got mine for about 700 dollars on sale.i made the wedge about 6 inches taller and now it splits big stuff better.

SineWave

I have not read the thread, and I have no basis for comparison, since I have only ever used one log splitter, in total, in my life, but the 22-ton log splitter I got at Tractor Supply ($900 with a 10% off coupon) has handily split everything I have thrown at it, including some pretty knotty white oak stumps. The reviews I read on the TSC website looked pretty good, and the consensus seems to be that you don't need anything bigger than 22 ton...

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!