iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety advice needed for a newbie...

Started by Paschale, September 18, 2002, 09:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everyone,

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to felling trees.  I certainly have an appropriate and healthy respect (maybe fear!) of the potential dangers involved when cutting down trees.  Next weekend, I'm going to the U.P. of Michigan to mill an ash tree.  The tree was blown down by the wind, but it caught on a much smaller tree, and has not fallen completely to the ground.  I am uncertain what the best method would be to get the tree all the way to the ground.  Cutting down the small tree is filled with danger--I can only imagine the force which would be loosed if I were to cut that one down.  I suspect it would shoot off in a very unpredictable manner, and certainly could possible result in serious injury.  I've enclosed a picture of the situation.  As I've thought through the scenario, I've wondered about cutting through the smaller tree partially, then perhaps attaching a chain to the smaller tree and using some horsepower to help get it down.  But, I know there's a heck of a lot of experience here on the forum, so I figure I'd check with you all.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dan M.

PS  I had a hard time trimming the picture so it wasn't too big a file, so hopefully there's enough there for you all to see what the situation is.  The small diameter tree at the far left is the tree on which the ash is hung up.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Bro. Noble

Dan,

Forget the little tree!!!  
From what I can see of the situation,  I would try to roll the ash sideways if possible 1st with a cant hook and if unsuccessful with a chain or cable and some sort of power source.  Hook your chain or cable on the back side of the butt of the log so that it both pulls and rolls.

I suggest you get someone with experience to help you.

Be sure to think things through to figure what might happen if you do this or do that.  

If you're not sure you can get it down safely, leave it there.

FAS ash in our area sells for abour 65 or 70 cents per bdft.,  It would take a convoy of them to pay for a hospital bill or funeral.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!