iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

safety advice

Started by thedeeredude, November 10, 2007, 11:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

At work we got some new non anti kickback non safety chain with a single raker.  Ive used it before somewhat but what are some good rules to follow?  And what to watch out for?  Thanks.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thedeeredude

Ok, sorry for the confusion :D  I meant we have the real deal sawchain.  Its not the low profile kickback safety stuff, it is single raker professional chain.  What are some safety precautions and guidelines I should follow?  Thanks

beenthere

Chaps, hardhat, eye protection, ear protection would come to mind.

Keep rpm up when cutting, and watch the tip location.

Brake on if moving more than one step...it is the recommendation of the "Game of Logging" program, and is probably a good one to get in the habit of when cutting.

The "single raker" comment has me puzzling over what you mean.  :) :)

What brand and number is it, for your chain?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dancan

all the same precautions and procedures apply for safety or non safety chain
it is not a large difference in how they cut and it will not pull the saw out of your hands
the main safety issues are covered in any chainsaw manual , if none are supplied to you ask for one or download any manual from ant chainsaw manufacturer or go to oregon chain for tips and what beenthere said

thedeeredude

beenthere, I think the pieces Im talking about are depth rakers.  Theres one right in front of the tooth and another in front of that on the safety chains we have.  On the new chains we have just one raker right in front of the tooth.  We have chaps, I need to get saw gloves and a new hard hat.  And I have steel toe boots.  Thanks for the help guys.

thedeeredude

I think what Im referring to is a guard link. 

Frickman

All that guard link does is stick out when the chain is traveling around the nose. It is to help prevent or lessen kickback when the upper quadrant of the nose touches something solid. It does slow down the cutting too, but not enough that most people would notice.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tom

logwalker

It does stop the boring. I hold mine up to the bench grinder and take them off. It only takes a couple minutes. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SawTroll

Stay out of the kickback zone, and watch the tip of the bar. hurt_smiley
Information collector.

rebocardo

I have been able to bore cut with safety chain (91vs?) on the smaller saws and my pole saws. It is just slow. I tried it with my smaller saws before I tried it with my full comp and full skip chains.

I did not intentionally cut only with the upper quad, so I can't say if it would cut that way.

Thank You Sponsors!