iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

On site milling for a future timber frame

Started by Jim_Rogers, April 05, 2012, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

LaserZX:
Here is the photo you wanted:

And you can see that I have it on upside down. That way the bucket hangs a little higher off the ground:

I don't know why I set this up this way but I did. And I find it works better upside down then right side up.

Here is a picture of the split in the elbow:

Here is a picture of the last elbow when the blade came out and caught it right on the bolt that holds the hook on:

You need to be careful of this:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

This job is done!

I finished up the last maple log yesterday morning, and brought the mill home yesterday afternoon, in between rain/sleet/hail and thunder storms.

Today, being a nice sunny day, I went over there and got my bed extension back:

And this is the slab/edging pile now:

Most of the hardwood slabs and edging got put into a different pile for firewood.

Here is the lumber all stacked up by the owner and her crew:

And they brought in some older timbers and mixed them into the timbers piles:

and:

With more in the foreground to stack.

She cleaned up the yard with this:

That is right where the log pile was. It's just there in photos now....

Hopefully they will ask me back again when they need more milled.

Jim Rogers

Misfit

An enjoyable sawing report Jim. Thanks for posting it and all the pictures. i learn a little more each time I read something like this. 

Having a cantilevered head was certainly an advantage in loading that one log! Was it extra long or just lined up off-center to the loading arms?

Seeing stacks of freshly milled lumber like that keeps me yearning for the day I get to join in the fun.  8)
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Jim_Rogers

Some of the long logs I had to pull back to center the balance point on the loader arms so that the mill would pick them up.
Then I had so shift them back to allow the blade to drop behind the end so I could mill them.
That's what happened with the long ones.

The forked one was just a pain to load do to the fork preventing me from being able to roll it with a peavy by hand.

I hope that answers your questions.

Jim Rogers

cutterboy

Jim, I just read through this post tonight and enjoyed it very much. Thanks so much for taking the time to upload and post all those pictures, I know that takes a lot of time.

Those long posts sure do look nice.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

You did good.  I love to drive away leaving neatly stacked/stickered lumber and a satisfied customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Jim, I always enjoy reading your posts, and seeing the photo's of what you have done.  Thanks much for taking the time to share.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jim_Rogers

Kbeitz

I wonder if a Fernco fitting elbow would work better. They are made out of rubber.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

flatrock58

Jim
How hard is it to line up the 6' extension on a remote job?  I have a 6' extension and have been trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it.  Just thought it would not work well unless you were set up stationary.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Kbeitz

Quote from: flatrock58 on January 04, 2016, 05:34:16 PM
Jim
How hard is it to line up the 6' extension on a remote job?  I have a 6' extension and have been trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it.  Just thought it would not work well unless you were set up stationary.

I put my extension on 6 scissor jacks. Very adajustable.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jim_Rogers

I have been hooking up and using my 6' bed extension on dirt and gravel driveways since I got it.
As long as you have the two round rails touching and in line and ridged then it will work. You may have to block up the spots under the legs of the extension table to make it strong enough to support the heavy end of a long log, or dig out to level.
But since I drilled my rails out and put in the alignment pins it has been a lot easier to assemble.

We did it at the last job in less than an hour, on a crushed stone driveway.
With the fixed channel iron support between the bed extension and the sawmill along with the yoke around the tail light bracket the extension is stiff and ridged when it is all bolted up.

I wrote a step by step guide here on the forum with pictures showing how I hook my up.
It is here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,57707.0.html

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

Jim, my inclination would have been to NOT mill the logs until they had a design.  The sized they requested were a bit odd as well.  7x7 in pine?  I figure you at least want 8x8 and maybe even 8x10.  I would also consider leaving an extra half inch at least in case of twist.  But then that leads to milling the timbers again.  If I was going to plane them, I'd let them air dry until closer to the time they needed them and then plane them.

I have a similar situation now.  I'm starting the design of my house.  I recently acquired some white oak and hickory logs.  I don't want to cut them though until I know what I really need out of them.  So I have the logs in my pole barn.  Last year I had a large standing dead walnut and a large ash that was at least half dry.  I milled a 10.5x10.5 from each and 3.5x7.5 brace stock from out side of that and some 4/4 boards.  I'll come back and remill or beam plane as needed when the design is done.  If I have to cut them down I will.  I'd be afraid to cut too small, which I fear could end up being your customers problem.    Sufficed to say, I'd rather not mill until I have a real cut list, which I'm sure you do too.

I lament that the forked log was cut as it was.   That was a prime piece for a forked post cut flat on two sides.  Yes you would have needed  a Grandberg mill, but I could have really been a special piece in the frame.  I wish I could find logs as nice as that one to do this with.  I've found a couple hardwood logs, but the two trunks after the crotch are smaller than I would really prefer.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

flatrock58

Jim,

Thanks.  I just figured with the fixed legs it would be hard to get it lined up.

I remember your guide now.  I tried to get the jig to drill the alignment pins, but never was able to figure out who had it last.  I need to drill my rails and try it out.  They guy I bought the mill from never used the extension or the resaw.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Kbeitz

Hey Brad.. Are you a Christmas tree farmer ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!